90's atb tyres.

timax

Dirt Disciple
For the life of me I can't remember what tyres we where racing on in the early 90's .. can anyone help? just some examples to jog my memory. I remember panaracer Smoke/darts, Conti cross country, I think my Spesh hardpacks and ground controls where 80's. ... I'm thinking Michelin wild grippers. If anyone is sharp enough to list popular tyres by year... that would be perfect. My headfudge is mush! major memory fail! ta in advance. timax. :D

For me it was always smoke rear, onza porc front.
Mates were running tioga trail dawgs mud dawgs and farmer johns cousins.
Ritchey mega bytes were another mates faves. Particularly the wcs and zmax's
All this would have been 90-93 when I sadly quit MTBs

II remember using
farmer jons cousins
smokes and darts
onza porcs and porc II
phycos 1 and 2
ritchey megabite Z max etc (well I never actually used them)
IRC geoclaw

then in the later 90's
hutchison on the rocks and there was some with some mega triangle thing in the middle that i can never remember the name of
tiaoga factory racing (fronts, rears and semi slicks)
IRC mythos (front and rear)
michelin wildgrippers

my fav combos
smoke up front with smoke light on the rear
mythos xc up front and wildgipper lite S rear
and the tioga factory combos.

Re: 90's tyres.

I've chucked some green michelin wildgrippers for now, but I have Irc mythos f&r too, but I thought they where later? Smokes and darts I can remember on review bikes and on brochure bikes. But not convinced me or any team riders raced with them. Conti cross countrys... Oh and makaws may be in there too. Irc mythos is an awsome all rounder. Wtb velociraptors where magic... But again I'm thinking late 90s ???

T'boo Ted":2qg839ot said:
hutchison on the rocks and there was some with some mega triangle thing in the middle that i can never remember the name of

Hutchison Coyotes?

Conti Explorers, Leader Pro, and Comp Pro1? were some of my favs.

Re:

Only got into mtbs in the mid '90s . Was rolling on P/racerSmokes both ends , or Conti Cross Country 1.75s .
Not racing , but it felt like it to me .
Then P/racer Mach SS/SKs for summer . Tioga Factory XCs were popular too IIRC . Both later '90s though I think .

Mike

Re:

Various Michelins, prior to Wildgrippers were my favourites. I have some Tiaga's, but Expertractions were my favourites. Haven't seen any for sale for a long time sadly.

Re:

Wildgrippers were like 98 when they came out, and over here were 100 each, and I was like oh er! Awesome. The dh tyres came out a but before. I stockpiled a heap ans only stopped using them a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Back