8Freight Cargo bike - restoration / project

đź‘Ť - the internal dust cover inside the freehub itself (rather than the one on the cone which have come in various flavours in the years) ideally must not be tampered with and driven too far in the freehub spinning part. It could foul with the fixed part that @novacaine has shown. The cassette lockring itself will also provide some protection against grud ingrese.

đź‘Ť - the internal dust cover inside the freehub itself (rather than the one on the cone which have come in various flavours in the years) ideally must not be tampered with and driven too far in the freehub spinning part. It could foul with the fixed part that @novacaine has shown. The cassette lockring itself will also provide some protection against grud ingrese.
Meh, as evidenced, I remove those feckers routinely for servicing, reseating is, much like setting cones to most people, a mysterious and black art, known only to a chosen few who have tutored under an ancient master a top high peaks in the frozen wastelands. Lol

Or, fit the bearings, set it so it isn't touching them and drop the axle and cone back in to make sure it isn't touching there either. Anyways, where was I, oh yes, mystic blar blar blar.

Rode one of these for work for one day. Then we shortly switched to Bullit Cargo bikes.

Have you ridden this yet before I give my opinion on them...?

Please do ;)

I think this one is yours by the way, from a thread done years ago... http://manchestercycling.blogspot.com/2010/07/8-freight.html

There was not too many of these made before the switch to overseas production and they are still a bit of a rare sight! I would estimate that there is maybe around 100 at the most? Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it!
Hi Mynchiboy, I see you may have been selling or hopefully are still selling an 8Freight or bits of one. If so please reply, I'm too much of a newbie to PM apparently.

I've not ridden it no, but don't worry about sharing your experience, good or bad!
Hi JoeRides,
I have one of these and have been using it now for about 5 years solid, seems to be an older version like yours. I am looking to get a second, mine is long in the tooth and wearing out. Let me know if you have grown tired of yours. I see this thread has cooled off a lot! Cheers. Lunar.

Hi JoeRides,
I have one of these and have been using it now for about 5 years solid, seems to be an older version like yours. I am looking to get a second, mine is long in the tooth and wearing out. Let me know if you have grown tired of yours. I see this thread has cooled off a lot! Cheers. Lunar.
@LunarBike just got back home and spotted your posts… I do have some things of interest. Will shoot you a PM later :)

@Joe_Rides updates would be cool if you have any amigo!

25/11/22 Continued.......

I also managed to get the cranks off (a non-matching crankset), the BB removed (then re-fitted temporarily) and the chain removed.

Cleaned a little bit and inspected the frame etc.

View attachment 682953View attachment 682950View attachment 682951View attachment 682952View attachment 682954View attachment 682955View attachment 682956View attachment 682957

It's had some repairs and it's had a few "fixes" which I will look to improve upon.

The bike had clearly lived a hard life, and it's quite the project. But providing I can get the parts I need it should be ok.

I'll order the wheel bearings this week (3 x different sizes) and try to find some replacement brake shoes.

Cheers,

Joe
When I got mine it had similar wear to yours where the chain goes near the bars. if the chain jumps off one of the guide jockey wheels it will grind until you realise. I have snapped on pieces of plastic conduit over the bad bits, more to prevent it happening again than to hide the damage. I have a little cage around the pulleys so that the chain can't really jump out, this seems to have been an original part but was bent out of shape when I got it.

Back