89 kona catalogue

No.
I might have some Kona stuff,89 and earlier ,in my extensive ( she says )magazine ,er ,reference section.
See what I've got.
I have got a Kona cat,but much later .mid 90s or something I think.

muddyfox_courier":1lnllejr said:
No.
I might have some Kona stuff,89 and earlier ,in my extensive ( she says )magazine ,er ,reference section.
See what I've got.
I have got a Kona cat,but much later .mid 90s or something I think.
The 88 catalogue is on here (in the scans forum), but there's no other 80s Kona stuff on line to my knowledge, so if you have any early material it would be great if you could scan it and put it on here.

And mentioning the mid 90s, the 95 brochure isn't on line either. :?:

Max P":1rc9uf2m said:
I have the '89 'catalogue' - seem to remember it was a simple A4 sheet - only three models then IIRC.
It might be here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2670
No, I couldn't find any mention of it there. Incidentally, the links are broken to all the more recent items in that thread, at least as far as my PC is concerned. It was very nice of you to do all that work though!

KonaPaul gave me these images of the 88 'brochure', and I think he has posted them in the scans forum.

Attachments

• 1988 brochure outer pages.jpg
    1988 brochure outer pages.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 1,989
  • 1988 brochure inner page.jpg
    1988 brochure inner page.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,990
Hi Anthony - yep sorry about the links. The host of some of those went kaput, one day I will get round to digging them all out and re-doing them.

The one above is the one I have - thought that was '89?

[edit]

Just been to check the original and I have it pencilled in as the '89. Got many catalogues from that year as I first bought a MTB then and sent off for lots from distributors. That Kona one definitely came from Second Level Sport in '89 - I guess they could have sent an '88 sheet but remember the gree/yellow splatter in the flesh too in '89.

explosif mint green joy

:LOL: wow i had a mint green yellow splatter paint explosif and loved it was my fave cycle wish i still had it
now two cinder cones hail the steel
anyone got old magazines with 94 95 konas in ?

Max P":1uleodu7 said:
Hi Anthony - yep sorry about the links. The host of some of those went kaput, one day I will get round to digging them all out and re-doing them. The one above is the one I have - thought that was '89?
[edit]
Just been to check the original and I have it pencilled in as the '89. Got many catalogues from that year as I first bought a MTB then and sent off for lots from distributors. That Kona one definitely came from Second Level Sport in '89 - I guess they could have sent an '88 sheet but remember the gree/yellow splatter in the flesh too in '89.
You may well be right, but KonaPaul thought it was the 88 brochure, and I'm pretty sure that it shows the first model year of Konas, as it was only in the first year that the whole range had rear U-brakes. And I'm also sure that TBG first marketed bikes under the Kona brand in 1988.

I don't know whether there was a further brochure in between this one and the 1990 Kona/Brodie one, but I would guess so as I'm pretty sure that there was a further model range in between these bikes and the 1990 ones. e.g., I think the Explosif had cantis in 1989 and I think there was a Lava Dome in 1989.

All a bit lost in the mists of time, but surely somebody must have copies of 1989 magazines stashed away in the loft somewhere that would tell us the answer?

Anthony":3mssf7xl said:
All a bit lost in the mists of time, but surely somebody must have copies of 1989 magazines stashed away in the loft somewhere that would tell us the answer?

Tons of 'em but all stashed in storage! Except for a copy of MBUK from Nov '89 I keep with all the cats'. There is an ad in there stating: "New Kona 1990 models available Nov - "Fire Mountain £349, Lava Dome £429, Cinder Cone £499, Explosive (sic) £799."

Other ads only list the three (then current '89) models - Fire, Cinder, Explosif.

Pretty sure still the above flyer is '89 with just the three models, the new '90 model year range appearing in late '89 as per the magazine ads.

Back