89 Fisher/ early Evolution Headset dimensions

Tommy27

Retro Guru

I'm after buying this from @doctor-bond for my '89 Fisher Procaliber. However I'm not sure what standard the headset would be. Could it be JIS? I think by 1989, Fisher had moved away from Toyo and but it was pre the first sale of the brand. Would the frame be Taiwanese or Japanese made? It currently has a YST headset.

Disclaimer: I'll be taking this to a trusted mechanic to fit. I'm not sure about removing any of the current one to check.

I'm not crazy about doing much to headsets other than tightening them. I've said on here before I have my mechanical limits- got pretty good with fettling things like brakes or (more recently indexing), eliminating creaks, polishing. But anything like a headset, wheel building or bottom bracket I know my limits.

1 1/4" only has one standard, that is the one Fisher created* with the Evolution headset size.
So, if it is a threaded 1 1/4" headset it will fit.

Who made it does not matter.

Your only flaw is that headset is some 5 years newer (from 1994 model year), you should really be after the black M737.

* I believe he did that in 1989 too.

Is anyone local to you on here to help with Retro Biscuitware headset fitting.

Looking at the docs though, the Procaliber didn't use it? Ultegra being only 1", an no mention of Evolution like all the other models.
1720190871413.png

I'd completely forgotten about this! The below is what concerned me.

1718960931988-jpeg.861795

I think I owe the good @doctor-bond a pm, either to say I'm still interested if he has it and say sorry if he hasn't!

?
I've forgotten the flow.
But HP-M742 is the 1 1/4" Evolution headsets so anything JIS/ISO is irrelevant.

If you actually have the 1" headset then it's a case of measuring to check...

It's definitely a 1 1/4. It currently got a YST one on.

Frame number starts '89, so either, not surprisingly with Fisher he changed the spec... or its not a Procaliber.

But it seems to have the orginal paint and the Prestige Ping? And it rides really well.

Back