8 to 9spd conversion

freeride-mike

Dirt Disciple
i currently run an 8spd cassette and 8 speed shifter will a 9 speed cassette fit on an 8spd shimano parrallax hub??

it just seems easier to get 9speed stuff these days

thanks in advance
mike :LOL:

yup i seem to think they do,the casstettes are just closer together,hense the need for a 9 speed chain,although a 8 will work fine ;)

you will need to change the chain and shifters. mechs will shift 9spd ok.

8spd chains are too wide and will NOT shift 9spd.

check out SRAM for 8spd stuff - I dont think you are looking hard enough myself, naughty boy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8spd-CASSETTE-11- ... _566wt_939

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":3puddqdq said:
I dont think you are looking hard enough myself

:LOL: im looking to get new levers a new RH shifter and my chain and rear cassette look tired so i was thinking as im gonna replace the lot should i just get 9speed stuff. :cool:

Shifter,chain and casette are your minimum costs. An eight speed chainset is fine,as is your front mech. Oh, your rear mech is fine for nine speed duty as well.

I did exactly the same on my Diamond Back, 9 Speed Chain, Cassette and shifters and good old Deore DX every where else ! Works a treat :cool:

the great roberto":24itv3jk said:
Shifter,chain and casette are your minimum costs. An eight speed chainset is fine,as is your front mech. Oh, your rear mech is fine for nine speed duty as well.

Gravy Monster":3kzqxhrc said:
I did exactly the same on my Diamond Back, 9 Speed Chain, Cassette and shifters and good old Deore DX every where else ! Works a treat :cool:

what cassette chain and shifters did u buy?? how much did it cost u roughly to convert the lot??

cheers :cool:

Or you could just go the whole hog and get a Deore (newest style)
Chainset/bottom bracket
Rear and front mech
Chain, cassette
Shifter,
Vbrakes and levers

though it's not really retro ;)

Not sure what 'retro' stuff is 9 speed, later 90's XT is a good bet
Though if your are buying new anyway, would be an easy way to go and eliminate other problems liek
Worn out chainrings, worn pulleys on the mech...
and it would 'get you going. Just need the tool to put the bottom bracket in, which don't cost much.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/shimano-g ... upset.html
Currently £166.25 for the lot.

Deore/SRAM 930 cassette is about £20 to £25
Chain up £10 to £15
Deore 9speed rear shifter about £30

more for higher up the ranges
or similar or less for retro stuff.

Back