8 speed chain recs?

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Slowly doing my first self-build, no experience at buying chains other than getting my lbs to fit them... :LOL:

Looking for a cheap 8 speed chain...plenty on CRC and the like, anyone have any specific recommendations? Using a shimano cassette, not sure what chainset yet but likley a shimano unit.

Cheap chain = false economy! :shock: Why do it?

I almost always use SRAM chains but shop around; big price difference for the same thing! :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I tend to use the cargo bikes at work as a barometer for how good chains are as they get a fair amount of abuse...normally we use Sram 850 ones as they are reasonably priced, readily available and seem to hold up well. We have had a few chain breaks though with them, that said we do tow 50-60 kilos around every day on most trips ;)

I'm currently running another bike with a KMC chain and (so far) all seems fine.

As for my own bikes, most have SRAM and KMC again, I've also been using a Taya chain which seems OK :)

Practically all my seven and eight speed bikes on Sram PC-870 chains and have done for many years.
I used the Sachs-Sedis PC-7 and PC-8 chains before them which pre-date the Sram versions.

Great chains in my humble opinion.

Thanks for all the comments, think SRAM wins it.

We_are_Stevo":2jnh7dva said:
Cheap chain = false economy! :shock: Why do it?

Good point Steve, wasn't thinking ridiculously cheap just don't want to break the bank! ;)

KMC for me, the X8 (and X9 for that fact) series have done and are doing me proud.

Really any of the 10 to 20 quid chains on CRC/ebay should do you fine.

Of course a quick search will show exactly the same conversation happening every time many times. You may even get a few that like Shimano chains (rare thing though)

charlie":i18ofij1 said:
...slight tangent what's the difference in .99 and 93 can anyone tell me
the finish of the chain grey/grey silver/grey or silver/silver, same as the move up the PC8xx series and the higher HGxx series.
but basically the high number is silver/silver, though you sometimes get the lower number mentioned as silver-silver as over here the X9 version has (or had?) no official version but they do make it.

'silver' is a nickel plating by the way, and it'll be the outer plate that plated on the silver/grey.

Back