Wanted 7 speed double (triple?) chainset

biker_in_lockdown

Dirt Disciple
Looking to build up a clockwork as my daily driver and the chainset that I pulled off it is knackered.

Was intending then to set up 1x7 as I’ve an old single speed chainset but the internet tells me that might not work.

Anyone got something they want to move on?

You could do 1x7 with a chain device on the ring, tends to be a bit rattly.
Depends on how you ride as to how serious it needs to be.

Thick thin ring also helps.

There used to be an arm with a long spring that mounted on the dropout and the spring added extra back pull to the derailleur. Can't find it online, or tremendous the name. DCD period, late 90s.
None of these options were perfect.

If you've got the shifter and the derailleur already, it will cost less, work better and give a wider range.
Worth fitting 26 36 48 if you're traveling, although you might need a new chain.
The one thing to be careful of is bb length if its a square taper👍

Thanks! Tho k that’s the best bet. Will get used for lugging shopping about but also need it to be swift enough to get me to work when I’m late 😆

I quite like using an old triple as a double with a chain guard on the outside, or even a single by ditching the granny ring. Then put as many at the back as you need for your hills/knees.

I've got a deore one, with rings that's technically an 8 speed I think but would work as a 7. It's 104 BCD so if you wanted to run a single ring in narrow wide you can easily get one, may even have one. It's square taper, and silver. A bit of herl rub but only cosmetic.

Latest posts

Back