27 inch wheels

wilfh

Dirt Disciple
hello
sorry if this is basic but...
Is there an equivelant to the 27 inch wheel or is is still standard?
cheers
Wilf

27's still available from most good lbs's or 2 nd hand , do what i do buy them when they come up and that way you always have a few spare sets .

Funny you should mention this...I wonder about putting 700c wheels on my 70's bikes which should have sprints and tubs :)

Shaun

The biggest drawback with 27" wheels is the lack of tyre choice. 27 x 1-1/4 is pretty much it. Continental do a 27 x 1-1/8 but it is a modern looking thing with a slick surface and (IMO) looks poor on an old bike.
Personally I REALLY REALLY wish Michelin still did World Tours in 27 x 1-1/8. I've had my Raleigh Royal for about 27 years and until recently had never had anything but Michelins on it. 27 x 1-1/4 is too wide for the frame though so I had to get a pair of the Contis. They ride well but I hate their appearance.

Ian.

My lbs told me 27 inch time werene't available any more, looking for a pair for a project bike early next year.

27" - love em. Still around and so are the tyres - just need a bit of hunting down!

27" wheelsets are available brand new, we just ordered some for one of our customers last week, I know of 2 suppliers of them

Alloy rims, screw on freehub style cost ~£100RRP inc tyres / tubes / rim tapes

Pretty sure Schwalbe do a 27" amberwall tyre. I think there may be other tyres available in 27" amberwall too

Midlife":12sy8qoi said:
I was thinking more about if they still did the tub sizes for 70's sprint rims :)

Shaun

i've got modern vittoria tubs on a pair of '50s sprint rims, so i'd imagine you should be ok…

alecstilleyedye":1a3j25ni said:
Midlife":1a3j25ni said:
I was thinking more about if they still did the tub sizes for 70's sprint rims :)

Shaun

i've got modern vittoria tubs on a pair of '50s sprint rims, so i'd imagine you should be ok…

They've never changed, still the same size.

Back