2022 Dura Ace, Ultegra & 105 electronic groupsets

More available ratios means a cassette can have each gear closer to the one either side meaning smaller jumps between gears making it easier for a rider to maintain a preferred cadence or even stay in one chainring longer. Also it means modern bikes can still have a decent small (11t) sprocket with a 28 or 30+ for a low gear all in one cassette. Looking back at 7 speed cassettes neither close gears or a useable spread was possible.

I agree with the shortcomings of modern groupsets but one advantage is definitely the available ratios on cassettes & chainring size choices we didn't have 15 years ago.
yes but the modern rear derailleurs especially shimano shadow derailleurs are not that beautiful and sram even worse. 10 speed cassette with a double or a triple cranks over plenty of ratios and much more than having a 12 speed casette with a single crank . I am not even men,tionning about the new shifters durability or shimano dura ace 9100 and 9200 cranks problems that have been debatted all over internet. Electronic shifting is finicky.

yes but the modern rear derailleurs especially shimano shadow derailleurs are not that beautiful and sram even worse. 10 speed cassette with a double or a triple cranks over plenty of ratios and much more than having a 12 speed casette with a single crank . I am not even men,tionning about the new shifters durability or shimano dura ace 9100 and 9200 cranks problems that have been debatted all over internet. Electronic shifting is finicky.

I hear you my friend, however if you picture an old classic groupset on a modern carbon frame, it would look awful.
Likewise most people don't like modern kit on an old frame, but that is accepted by some & it can work - restomod.

Personally I have ran 11sp Shimano on my road bikes for 10 years now in Ultegra & DA9000, for me it is peak Shimano, it works amazingly, has a sweet finish infact I'd go as far as saying DA9000 is Shimano's finest ever looking groupset. 9000 had an update to the STI's to cure the cable fraying issue within the lever ST9001, I've never had an issue. (which you did mention LOL)

I'm not here to defend it or sell it. Just my 2 cents worth coming from someone that admires classic bicycles & rides a few modern ones. Happy Weekend!

I hear you my friend, however if you picture an old classic groupset on a modern carbon frame, it would look awful.
Likewise most people don't like modern kit on an old frame, but that is accepted by some & it can work - restomod.

Personally I have ran 11sp Shimano on my road bikes for 10 years now in Ultegra & DA9000, for me it is peak Shimano, it works amazingly, has a sweet finish infact I'd go as far as saying DA9000 is Shimano's finest ever looking groupset. 9000 had an update to the STI's to cure the cable fraying issue within the lever ST9001, I've never had an issue. (which you did mention LOL)

I'm not here to defend it or sell it. Just my 2 cents worth coming from someone that admires classic bicycles & rides a few modern ones. Happy Weekend!
DA 7800 and DA 7900 work fine too and they are still good to this day despite being 10 speed groups. Glad for you that your 9000 works well, I prefer the DA 7800 in terms of aesthetics and ergonomics but that is me

Last edited:
i think shimano 7400 steel racing bikes were the peak. when weight wasn't a consideration.
Castorama was using an alumanium Altec bikes by Maxisports with Dura Ace 7410 and they weren't that heavy. Other like Gianni Bugno used Columbus tubed frames and their bikes were in the 9,5 kilos-9,8kilos bracket. The 7-11 bikes were also using DA 7400 but with True Temper tubing and they proved their worth.

Dura Ace cassettes now come in 11-34! To be paired with a 36/52 chainset.

I don’t understand who this is aimed at. Oh, the cassette RRP is £329.99.

I’m out.
An Ultegra cassette used to be about 50-60 quid. Even the pros used to go with ultegra over dura ace. I can’t believe a wear part like a cassette now costs so much.

Last edited:
More available ratios means a cassette can have each gear closer to the one either side meaning smaller jumps between gears making it easier for a rider to maintain a preferred cadence or even stay in one chainring longer. Also it means modern bikes can still have a decent small (11t) sprocket with a 28 or 30+ for a low gear all in one cassette. Looking back at 7 speed cassettes neither close gears or a useable spread was possible.

I agree with the shortcomings of modern groupsets but one advantage is definitely the available ratios on cassettes & chainring size choices we didn't have 15 years ago.
When I turned pedals in anger 5 was the norm & 6 was coming in. I get what you have pointed out. cheers

Back