2008 polished Zaskar

zooma5949

Dirt Disciple
I bought a new 16" polished GT Kaskar in 2008 with rigid GT forks and also a pair of Rock Shocks Judy yellow SL forks. The bike has a full XT group set.

When I bought it I was told it was a limited edition ( maybe only 500 made?) and that the 16" frame was especially rare as very few of this size were made in this limited edition. It was very expensive but I really wanted it so I bit the bullet and bought it.

Although it has been much admired and well looked after the bike has been only ridden a few times and is pretty much "as new" .

I have just fitted a new set of tyres as I intend to ride it but I have kept the original tyres ( no signs of wear on them) so it will remain authentic.

I would like to know what this bike is worth as I think it may still be quite valuable and I would like to insure it at a realistic price as everywhere it is seen it attracts a lot of attention!

59731.jpg

sorry to tell you but limited edition is used as a cute marketing tool its mostly a myth

i will give you an example
there are millions of call of duty limted editions produced
there so limted that thousands of game stores have hundreds in every store

do you see how it works now?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo[/youtube]

Not all Limited Editions are Fake.

I am aware of how the marketing world works having been business trained in commerce and marketing before staring my life-long career in industry.

Not all "limited run" or "special" editions are cynically claimed to deceive the public - many are actually authentic and genuinely are what they say they are.

I am not sure if a direct comparison with the high volume game industry and the comparatively low production of GT Zaskars in 1988 is a realistic comparison to make.

Since posting my enquiry I have seen the MBUK SuperBike pack of Trump cards given away with the latest copy of MBUK magazine.

My actual Zaskar is like the one featured on one of the Superbike cards and is one of 500 made in 1988 and is described as "an all time Classic".

I bought mine in late 1988 and the description and date ties-in with when I bought mine and with the information given to me by my local branch of Leisure Lakes when I bought it so I have no reason to believe that the 16" polished Zaskar that I have is anything other than what it is described as.

The picture shown on the MBUK Trump card shows a bike with red hubs, Judy SL forks and disk brakes.

The actual re-issue bike came with the authentic GT rigid forks, black GT branded hubs and a full XT group set with "V" brakes. I also bought a set of the new ( at the time) Rock Shocks Judy SL ( Super Light) forks and both sets of forks remain with the bike.

I was hoping for some knowledgeable feed-back from GT enthusiasts regarding the current value of this "as new" and authentic 1988 re-issue bike purely for insurance purposes.

I have since insured the bike for £1500 ( less than half the Trump card price) but fear that if it should be stolen it would be impossible to replace it with a similar "as new" and almost un-ridden example of this limited edition Classic - so I am now riding it to enjoy it rather than just keeping it in mint condition........but it will be treated well and kept clean and well cared for.

Re:

There were only 500 made, that does make it fairly limited in my eyes. When you come to sale it and have a price drop me a pm :)

I'll have to try resist but I just want one

Sean

...if it's one of these: viewtopic.php?t=227569

Then it's definitely worth a few quid I'd say! Only 500 made (not sure where in the world they are made) but they are pretty hard to come by going from experience and trying to get my hands on one

Re:

I would be prepared to sell my Zaskar - make me an offer ( subject to seeing it and riding it to make sure it is as good as I say it is :D )

Back