2005 Trek Top Fuel 110 Team Issue - Repair and Restomod

Is it wrong to use non period decals?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it too late for a somewhat see-through smokey black clear coat that does not quite cover the carbon weave?

I considered a while ago but due to the repairs ive had to do the bare carbon would look a bit rough. Also the frame is mostly made of unidirectional carbon with no visible weave. It not 100% carbon either as the BB area is essentially a big alloy lug as are the pivot points on the rear end and the dropouts.

I love the idea though and one of my favorite bikes the Orbea Oiz has that tinted clear coat over carbon effect. I think its one for the professional painters though 😆

p5pb19075397.jpg

Was thinking it’d be quite nice not to hide everything you’ve done completely under some paint.

I’d call that paint on the Oiz 60% opaque. 80-90% opaque would look good on your Trek I reckon.

Yeah it would be nice but I need to use filler to smooth the transitions between the carbon patches and the original carbon.

I think I'll stick with matte black but add some gloss black details maybe using some gold glitter here and there. Maybe do the top half of the top tube and along the top side of the seatstays. Would be easy to mask of areas with fine line tape and lay down some gold flake and gloss clear. Possibly do the main Trek decal in the same way.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

I just spoke to a technician at TF Tuned about my forks...

I noticed in the tech manual a note that said the compression damper I have is designed to work with a specific rebound assembly. However he told be the difference is so small between the models, just a couple of shims, that any difference wont really be noticeable. He said I may lose a click of adjustment on the compression side but thats it. Im quite relived as I couldnt find the other rebound assembly for sale anywhere and wont have to fork out (pun intended) on a new one now.

He also said that in his opinion the 'open bath' RCT3 dampers were better than the newer Charger cartridges and much more reliable. Well chuffed with that news.

Meanwhile Ive made a decision on what colour to paint the frame and Im about to order what I need to finish the project.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Back