2001 Ti Airborne Corsair - Infant Joy / Eternal Conflict / Tinkerer Test Bed 🍷🤪

I thought xt v brakes were around longer, but it could have been more the trekking side of things.

Yes ..... and no .....

There are a few key dates, and to stress it does not equal supply and demand. It's only the second tire XT gruppo I've referenced.

I think, for us with a retro cantilever frame, if you wanted a full XT gruppo it's M770 and that's the end of. The next release is M780 in 2012 and good bye Shimano supporting your old retro tat with XT from there on in. I think this is a key date. May be worth moaning about I don't know.

The +98 section should really be discussing stuff like this in a wider sphere. 2012 is the logical end year with something XT with longevity in the material it uses. It only goes to LX, and down hill further thereafter. I don't doubt for a minute it goes down hill in a time compressed framework either in the lower ranks. Cues 9 speed budget does not offer a rim brake.

The writing is on the wall. No doubt this was all discussed at Shimano HQ in board rooms concerning product life cycle and trends.

Let's say this. Your early 1990s MTB frame with 135 rear OLN had - in the eyes of Shimano - on a XT level - enjoyed up to 2012 of compatibility.

It's 22 odd years compatibility. Much better than a life span of a laptop. much better than a fridge, but not as good as a vintage Singer sewing machine.

Once again, my love - hate relationship with Shimano. It would be interesting to see how the 22 odd years gets compressed even more as we approach today. I'm sure it does one way or the other but have not done research. but we can probably foresee about a 5 year useful time of a bicycle before you're expected to replace it with something new.

Last edited:
I thought xt v brakes were around longer, but it could have been more the trekking side of things.

Looking here at the XT Trekking gruppo is a bit odd:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/deorext-t8000.html

There are normal rim brake hubs listed but no rim brakes :rolleyes::oops:🙁

It then gets even odder going down the pecking order of Deore, Acera, Alivio, Altus and even Tourney - mechanical shifters and brake levers available but no rim brakes at all. Shimano really wants us to get with it in 2024 and use at the minimum mechanical disc brakes:

1726568995454.png

Honestly thought Shimano would still have a rim brake somewhere, but it appears not to be the case. 🙁 I thought perhaps at least something may be there for BMX, but I can't even see the DX / DXR range so assume that one is axed and dead and buried.

I'm not worried or too concerned, but do find it a bit sad rim brakes for any discipline and class of bikes is now firmly in the rear view mirror and fading out of view by the primary industry leader.

..... still trawling. In the 2024 - 2025 Compatibility Charts we see V-Brake pads are still available, but unsurprisingly, and I have known about it for a good few years the specific pads for ceramic coated rims was dropped. I'll probably have a rant over that later :LOL:

1726571045095.png

Last edited:
I bought Deore v last year.

👍

There's probably going to be a fair few stocks still out there for sometime. Then of course Ebay ....

🤔

I wonder if one day there will be a spate of Retrobikers hoarding Alivio T4000, stroking them and trying to convince themselves they are as good as obsolete XTR :LOL::LOL:

Latest posts

Back