2000 schwinn homegrown pro restoration

Robp123

Dirt Disciple
Finally got my 2000 homegrown pro built back up after a fresh paint job,owned it from new, it’s definitely had a hard life from being used for countless xc races and 12-24hr races to a winter training bike,
It’s been surprisingly hard to find all the bits to build it back up due to over priced and poor condition parts.
I also finally found a NOS chainstay guard for it aswell that I’ve fitted since these photos were taken,

Frame has been painted molton orange (looks great in the sun) I forgot how dark the orange is compared to it’s original colour but happy with how it now looks

Spec is: Rock shox Sid Athena rep forks .10spd m895 xtr with m970 xtr v brakes,dt240 hubs on Mavic xc717rims,Thomson stem+post,easton carbon bars

A photo of when I first had it built up with its “xc race spec” back in early 2003 I think,
a68760b9-e0b4-41e6-a763-58c4b380cd4f.jpeg

How it is now after a complete rebuild, still has its original tomato top cap and head tube badge and badge on the seat stay
FD1C5D92-A01D-4B16-9048-0E491082C337.jpeg 9C3A2243-71B1-43C8-8145-31CDCB0ABF66.jpeg

I really like these and yours looks very nice. I've always got an eye out for one.

I think they were one of the lightest frames avaliable at the time and the last decent frame Schwinn made.

I really like these and yours looks very nice. I've always got an eye out for one.

I think they were one of the lightest frames avaliable at the time and the last decent frame Schwinn made.
Thanks ☺️,
If I remember right they where 2.95lbs for the frame and at the time it was the lightest hardtail frame in production , I had it built up with a set of rc31forks and extralite bars/stem/seatpost and a few other lightweight parts and it weighed in at 17lbs but was too light and bounced off everything in singletrack but went up hills like a rocket, it’s the one bike I will never sell even though I haven’t ridden it in around 10 years

the last decent frame Schwinn made.
Correction: the last decent frame with Schwinn badging, they weren't actually made by Schwinn, which is why Homegrown were so special. Homegrown tomatoes were made in America by other companies (such as Control Tech and Yeti!) for Schwinn. According to my research, 2000 Homegrown Pro was made by Anodizing Inc. They also made a 2001 model

Correction: the last decent frame with Schwinn badging, they weren't actually made by Schwinn, which is why Homegrown were so special. Homegrown tomatoes were made in America by other companies (such as Control Tech and Yeti!) for Schwinn. According to my research, 2000 Homegrown Pro was made by Anodizing Inc. They also made a 2001 model

It’s a shame how schwinn ended up after them and gt went under, the bikes they made where definitely ahead of there time and rode so well, there is loads of useful information on that site ,
I have only ever seen one other pro model and 2 goldies in this country,

Back