1x8 query

Re:

Thanks for the help lads.
Want to use an LX chainset, M650/3 .
Would it work with the 32ish chainring on the outside, as I think it looks better than in it's conventional place? Or would the chain line be crap ? !

Mike

It would, but you'll need to run a shorter BB spindle to compensate, and you might then run into heel/crank clearance issues on the chainstays. Remember you'll need single chainring bolts too.

Alternatively you could keep the 32T in the standard position and fit a plain BBG bashguard in the outer ring position - no need for shorter bolts then either.
94BCD32Tblck1.jpg

Re:

I did as gradeAfailure suggests above with my work bike 1x8, 42 tooth ring and a bash guard. I've ridden it to work and back for about three months now without dropping a chain once.

Admittedly the route to work isn't as rough as offroad but the way the roads are going it's not far off!

Re:

In terms of chainline, you don't have many options other than to run a single ring on the inside of the crank bolt holes. You should aim for the chain to run as straight as possible in relation to the centre of the cassette. Running it in the outer position will almost certainly cause problems.

You can sometimes run a shorter BB to help with the chainline but you need to obviously watch for chainstay clearance.
As an example, I run a 107mm rather than the usual 110mm BB on my 8 speed Stumpjumper to improve chainline. I use a non ramped chainring (no lowered teeth for improved shifting) in the middle ring position and I've also fitted a chainguide to this one.

96Stumpjumper28.jpg

If you ride mostly on roads and smooth trails then you'll probably get away with no chain guide, inner or outer bashrings.
But any rough sections or pot-holes etc, can cause problems, especially if you use ramped chainrings rather than single speed specific or non ramped rings with taller teeth.

Narrow wide type chainrings are pretty good, but you really need a modern clutch type mech for them to work on rougher off road stuff. Otherwise you still need a chainguide.

Re:

Thanks for your help folks ;)

I decided to keep it retro with the oe 7-speed wheel, and as I'll be using the bike mainly on the road, I'll see how I get on with no guide.
Ta-Da !

Notice the newly sanded seat tube where the f/m once was! :facepalm:
The 34t Sugino flat ring is steel, so hoping it will match the frame over time :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Attachments

• RatFisH drive.jpg
    RatFisH drive.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 357
Back