Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks ;)

I'm thinking of going 1x8 on one of my bikes. The only problem I see is stopping the chain from jumping off the top of the chainring.
Don't want to fit a bb mounted tensioner. Would i need to get one of those narrow/wide ring thingies? which I really don't want to do either TBH.
Any ideas

Thanks

Mike

Re:

No ideas but a little experience. Prepared my bike with a 1x8 a few years ago. Can't do without a good chainguide. I rode without and it was hell.
But hey, light weight and clean :cool:

Re:

When I used to race, I fashioned one from a teaspoon hung from the bottom bottle cage mount on the seat tube. Good idea but I needed 7 scoops in my tea when I took it off ! :LOL:

Mike

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I rode around on a 1x7 for years with no chain device or special chainrings with no issues whatsoever.

I suggest you try it with nothing, you may find that you don't need anything.

Once you've got a single chainring, you can probably shorten the chain a bit so that it's a bit tauter than it normally would be on the middle or granny ring, whilst having enough length for a larger ring.

gradeAfailure":2t6by1t1 said:
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/xcr-st-mount-chainguide.htm
Pretty colours...

Narrow/wide chainrings are 4-bolt only AFAIK, so you won't find one for retro 5-arm cranks.

EDIT: Wolftooth and AbsoluteBlack do 110BCD N/W chainrings but I can't find any 94BCD.

SRAM and Blackspire both do 94mm BCD narrow-wide chainrings and I think I found one or two other makes - just none with a tooth count as high as I wanted.

I have not hat a single issue with my wife's 1x7, my old 1x8, and my current 1x10. Chain length and alignment is the key. Sometimes you need to space the BB contrary to factory spec depending on your crank setup, but you shouldn't need a tensioner. I've run both standard shimano, and narrow raceface.

It really is the optimal setup for so many trails. I put 3x6/7/8 on all my builds because its period correct, but in terms of riding and enjoyment those two extra front rings are pointless on my trails.

Back