1x10 cassette options

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm building a bike for a mates son. Going 1x10 as I have some stuff already but what would be a good option for cassette ratio wise and also front ring?

Looking for thought on coffee teeth numbers around a 32 ISH front ring.

Thsnks

I find an 11-46 cassette paired with a 30t chaining works well. Would I like to go lower via a 50+ cassette or a 28t chainring? Sure - but this combo was cheap as chips.

11-42 would work well enough on a 32t if you can't stretch to a 46t. I've ridden that combo before too.

Thanks. Do you know if 10sp cues cassette works on a standard freehub? I read that a different chain, 11sp might be needed too?

Cues cassette goes on a standard HG freehub but is linkglide so uses an 11 speed chain and the spacing is different, needs a Cues mech and shifter. There's probably bodges but I'd stick with HG if you already have shifters/mech. :)

hi, just wanted to check if this is for a MTB with 26" wheels?
At least to me, a 30T chain ring at the front is for a 26" bike too small, because you will end up in flat terrain to run the chain almost all time on the right cogs of the cassette.

I do use a few old 26" bikes with 1xX, often a 9 or 10 speed 11-36 cassette at the back, because you can use old derailleurs with 36T max. for everything bigger you need a modern rear mech, or tricks like goat link / wolf link, something I wouldn't recommend.

BTW: if you want to use 10speed with an a bit older Shimano rear mech, those didn't have Dyna-Sys and use a different gear ratio as newer 10speed MTB trigger and rear mech.
Older Shimano MTB rear deraileur (originally designed for 7-9 speed) do work with 10speed too, but need a 10speed road racing shifter (e.g. road racing flat bar trigger)

I do use them depending on usage with 36-42T chain ring in the front, mostly on flat or mixed terrain, but this is not adequate for steep and longer uphills. Just checked smaller chain ring in the front earlier, too me not allowing to drive with higher speed in flat or descending ground.

Back