1999 Kona Stab frame sizing

eporter123

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone know the actual top tube measurements for a ‘99 Stab? I just picked this up. Seat tube is 17” C-top. Top tube is ~21.5” actual C-C. Catalog says they made small, medium, and Long in 1999. No dims/geo chart. 2000 catalog has some dims, but they’re virtual. Hard to measure those with just a frame...

Also, where is the serial # on this frame?

Attachments

• F3F30172-90CB-4C0F-BF23-CF1C0F8835B2.jpeg
    F3F30172-90CB-4C0F-BF23-CF1C0F8835B2.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 298
Re:

eporter123":36gw95xf said:
Does anyone know the actual top tube measurements for a ‘99 Stab?

The "Actual Measurement" of your Top Tube is the 21.5" that you have documented - i.e. Centre to Centre along the length of the Top Tube. The Virtual Measurement of any Top Tube is an imaginary line drawn parallel to the ground from the centre of Top Tube / Head Tube Junction, to where that line transects the centre of the Seat Tube - as seen in the 2000 Catalogue, but omitted from the 1999 catalogue.

It is tricky to measure the Virtual length when the bike isn't built up, as you have to judge how it will sit with forks and wheels fitted.

Are you asking what catalogue size frame you have from list of Small, Medium and Long?

As far as I know, the serial number should be stamped into the underside of the Bottom Bracket Shell.

Pip

Re:

file.php

This is an earlier one but it's a small; doesn't help you much I know but yours is bigger.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":16qczsvi said:
Are you asking what catalogue size frame you have from list of Small, Medium and Long? Pip

Yes. Please reread my original post, where I cover everything that you then repeat in detail.

My actual top tube measures 21.5” C-C. Seat tube is 17” C-T. There are three sizes of this frame. I believe the actual top tube measurement on the Long frame is ~1” longer, with the same 17” seat tube. Small is 15” seat tube. Not sure on top tube. I think mine is the medium.

Sizing is tricky on these old DH frames.

Oddly the BB shell is unmarked. I’ve found the serial # on all my other Konas. Wasn’t sure if it’s hidden by the linkage on this, or what?

Back