1999/2000 Marin East Peak / Shoreline Trail

Ah that's interesting - my 2000 Mount Vision takes a 30.0mm seat post, which is a trickier size to find.

I don't miss having a dropper on mine too much, as the general set up is biased towards longer gently cross country riding, but I think I'd want one if it was set up with wider handlebars and a shorter stem as on your build.

Looking forward to hearing how it rides!

Out and about in the rain today. I fitted new bars with a 25mm rise which feel much better. They aren’t the right colour but the bike shop had what it had.

IMG_2832.jpeg

I fitted a new dropper lever which I doubt I’ll use much - the one that came with the post stuck straight up from the bar which just seemed a bit odd.

Gears seem to be working. I couldn’t get the bigger cassette and the hanger extender working right on my NRS. I must have been doing something wrong as it seems fine now although shifting into the smallest cogs on the cassette is a bit slow. I wonder if that’s because the jockey wheels are furthest from the cassette at that point.

IMG_2831.jpeg

Brakes feel good. I wondered if the old LX brifter would feel different to the new Magura but they feel pretty similar.

The brifter is … hmm. Not sure yet. It works as it should. But it’s weird. But it might because I’m not used to it.

Suspension is great! Really smooth and responsive. I’ve only got the Giant NRS to compare it with which is also good. But the NRS will sometimes overreact to something innocuous and blow through its travel and come back with a sort of slurping noise. I’m not sure if I’m comparing suspension designs or just shocks that are 22 years apart in age. Or my poor setup.

The chainring is definitely too small. But I can climb everything! Like a very slow Pogačar 😊

Anyway, good so far. Got some mud on it.

IMG_2842.jpeg

IMG_2836.jpeg

Definitely needs some stickers.

Looks great!

Be aware that changing chain ring size will affect pedal feedback to the suspension.

If the chain line is below the pivot, pedaling hard causes the shock to extend under chain tension, effectively firming the shock a smidge, which can be quite nice on steep climbs.

If it's above the pivot (as it would be with a big chain ring), chain tension when pedaling hard will compress the shock, which can make it feel a bit "mushy", especially if you like climbing out of the saddle in a high gear.

You're right that the slow shifting into the smallest sprocket is probably due to the fact you need to wind the b-tension screw in a long way to get the rear mech to clear the biggest sprocket. There's no solution to this that I'm aware of, expect to pair big cassettes with derailleurs designed to track them properly.

Hadn't noticed you were running brifters! Can imagine there must be a bit of a learning curve to them!

IMG_2898.jpeg

Gratuitous, stick assisted photo. The light was nice.

I’ve had three rides on it now. I’m no longer reaching for the thumb shifter. Still, the brifter is a bit odd.

I had the full 3x9/rapid rise/brifter setup on my Kona in 2006. I think it made some sense in that you pushed down to change up on both front and rear. My daughter (she has 2x10 on her bike) definitely finds the asymmetric setup of ‘normal’ shifters confusing.

In use, the brifter is fine. The brake has plenty of power. It feels quite normal. It is quite tricky to downshift and brake at the same time.

Not sure how long the brifter will stay. We will see.

Latest posts

Back