1998 Turner Afterburner.

harkonen

Retro Newbie
Newbie here. Thought i would share some pics of my Turner Afterburner i have owned since the late 90's. Recently rebuilt the 3 linkage 'axles' using modified Nukeproof hardwear from the closing down CRC sale. Now the four bar linkage is play free once again. Have some pics. Really enjoyed reading the @al-onestare Kona Tomi Misser replica thread on this forum. Seeing a lot of Turner in that Kona frame, they must have been made by Turner?
Anyway here are some pics, currently with 66rc's, ex729 Hope pro 2's & Wetscreams, Straitline vertical wedge stem & Sunline bars and a Titanium Brooks b-17 saddle. Back in the day spec highlights were Manitou x vert carbons, Hope big uns on Sun doublewides, Profile 3pc cranks & Big Cheese ring and an Azonic cockpit.
IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0708.JPG

like it, not a fan of the brooks, but it isn't mine so I don't get a vote. :)
lovely bike, not much in relation between this and a Kona though I'm afraid. the Horst link was invented and patented, the sold to specialized, Kona had a fo-bar linkage instead. the movement of the rear wheel is different and having ridden a 5 spot along side a stinky I recon you can feel the difference.

love the turner. :)

lovely bike, not much in relation between this and a Kona though I'm afraid. the Horst link was invented and patented, the sold to specialized, Kona had a fo-bar linkage instead. the movement of the rear wheel is different and having ridden a 5 spot along side a stinky I recon you can feel the difference.

The OP is referring to the Kona Missser frames that were Turner frames

Some back in day pics of the Afterburner. The Manitou X vert carbons were originally orange with canti mounts which were removed (sacrilege today probably?) and then sprayed black and a genuine later decal kit applied. The frame still has the MRD (manitou racing developments) sticker on the seatube which came with the new decal kit. Spec as pictures is x verts, 36h Hope BigUns, Sun Doublewides, Michelin comp 16's, Hope C2's, Control tech post, Tioga dh saddle, Turner clamp, Azonic double wall bars & shorty stem, Profile bmx cranks, Big Cheese 44t ring, Simano DX pedals, Mr control mrp copy bb mounted device with an AC components lower guide and an 8 speed mech.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Think the late 90's Kona Stab (and Stinkies?) had a seatstay mounted link not a chainstay horst link. The Kona Misser replica's though have the horst link which i assume marks them as being made in the USA by Turner.

Also have a DDG Superstrad saddle (think sofa) which needs recovering for the Afterburner.

Think the late 90's Kona Stab (and Stinkies?) had a seatstay mounted link not a chainstay horst link. The Kona Misser replica's though have the horst link which i assume marks them as being made in the USA by Turner.

Also have a DDG Superstrad saddle (think sofa) which needs recovering for the Afterburner.
that they did and it was what I was confusing you about, I had forgotten about the race team specials. they were terms as fo-bar linkage rather than a true four bar linkage of a horst pivot point (as you rightly say, above the axle rather than below).

wonder if anyone still has a tioga saddle, they were awful things, yet we all had one. :)

love the pictures from "back in the day" a scirroco and a nissan primera, we had such cool cars back then 🤣

that they did and it was what I was confusing you about, I had forgotten about the race team specials. they were terms as fo-bar linkage rather than a true four bar linkage of a horst pivot point (as you rightly say, above the axle rather than below).

wonder if anyone still has a tioga saddle, they were awful things, yet we all had one. :)

love the pictures from "back in the day" a scirroco and a nissan primera, we had such cool cars back then 🤣
Yep the long Tioga saddles were incredibly uncomfortable things to perch on. The scirocco scala was mine. White seats! Nightmare to keep clean!
:p

Back