1998 M2 Stumpjumper build

That looks amazing, what a fantastic build. I would never of thought of polishing the bombers but they look stunning! I have had an M2 for years and was contemplating selling it but after seeing yours I think another build might be in order. I hope you don't mind if I nick some of your ideas...

That looks amazing, what a fantastic build. I would never of thought of polishing the bombers but they look stunning! I have had an M2 for years and was contemplating selling it but after seeing yours I think another build might be in order. I hope you don't mind if I nick some of your ideas...
Cheers! I’m really pleased with how it came out too, it was just a bit of luck that I had those forks - I had them for ages but they really suit this frame and tie in with the polished crankset and other shiny parts.. 1998 too so same as the frame.
This just came together so nice and I’ve ridden it a few miles so far but I’m so impressed with how it performs. Can’t go wrong with this era of XT/XTR really and Specialized really knew their onions when they put these frames out..

I have a 1998 StumpJumper in mango and I had it since 2002. I was in need of a bike to get around NYC due my Trek getting stolen and I grabbed this bike. The bad thing is it’s too big for me. I was told it was an 18” which would likely still be on large size for me but come to find out it’s a 19”. I would love to find someone close in the US that had a smaller M2 that needed my larger frame size and see if it would make since to do a little bartering.
This bike has been on zero trails with me and they I bought from used it as a college commuter bike in New Hampshire and I don’t think he did much off road riding either. I have changed stem(shorter), seat, pedals and tires.
The Judy T2 shock is still functioning, I figure the life of the elastomers are nearing their end. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_4557.jpeg
    IMG_4557.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 5
IMG_4522.jpeg
Thanks for your comments, I still have this and it’s still getting a bit of use here and there. It’s a size 18”, a 19” would probably be a better fit for me tbh but I like it as it is and think the proportions of the smaller frame size look a bit better. Maybe something to do with how chunky the frame tubes are?
Yours looks in decent condition, always nice to find a classic mtb that hasn’t been abused, hats off to you for looking after it over the years. How tall are you incidentally? 19” should fit maybe 5’10” to 6’2” or thereabouts. I’m 5’10” so I can ride 18” or 19” frames.
I also have just finished a 1993 Stumpjumper fs which is an 18”, need to get a picture of both bikes together really.
IMG_4738.jpeg
Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy your stumpy always good to see another one on here. 👍

I am 5’8” - 5’9” and I prefer to be a bit more upright. I found several frames on eBay since I posted this. I am finding conflicting info on how people measure frame size on these bikes. I thought it was center BB to top of TT but some people measure center BB to center TT and others are measuring to top of the seat tube and using that as they list the size on eBay. So I have a few request for updated pictures for sellers on eBay to show a tape measure from C BB to T TT so I can know the size in relation to my frame. My frame which is 19” C BB to T TT or 20.5” from C BB to the end of the top of seat post. I might be riding a different color Stumpy soon. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_4561.png
    IMG_4561.png
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 3
Back