1997 RS Judy SL internals conumdrum

REKIBorter":2rib9qw8 said:
The only problem are the bushings, which were notoriously bad on 97 forks, need replacing. Need to find - borrow - make a tool to get them out, replacing them is fairly straight forward :?:

Does anyone have this tool? I have some SID's that need new bushes _ i'm going to use two sets to stiffen them up!

MadCowKev":1ber3vj6 said:
REKIBorter":1ber3vj6 said:
The only problem are the bushings, which were notoriously bad on 97 forks, need replacing. Need to find - borrow - make a tool to get them out, replacing them is fairly straight forward :?:

Does anyone have this tool? I have some SID's that need new bushes _ i'm going to use two sets to stiffen them up!

➡️ SPOOKY :!:

I've spent most of the afternoon fighting with my Judy SL's. Bought a Judy bushing removal tool from Xesh a couple of weeks ago along with some bushings, the ones with the 20mm lower and 10mm upper, from CRC.

Not the easiest of jobs, firstly the dust wipers didn't want to come out without making a mess of the paint despite using a fine headed screwdriver with the tip covered in tape. Then the old bushings refused to budge until I employed the old Dead Blow Hammer (hammer with head wrapped in insulation tape) much relief when the first one popped out soon followed by the others.

The new bushings have something like a Teflon inner surface, lightly greased the bushings and using a socket and extension bar lighty tapped the lower bushings into place. The upper bushing when put in place seemed to be too big, so a quick bit of filing removed the excess and they slipped in snuggly with a couple of taps of a socket and hammer. Greased it all up and assembled the forks, no more play, flipping brilliant. An afternoon well spent.

Kev you can borrow the tool if you want, I'll be at Chicksands on Thursday.

REKIBorter":1zn4dl2x said:
Kev you can borrow the tool if you want, I'll be at Chicksands on Thursday.

I have a better idea. As you now have experience of the procedure ;)

the judys in the first pic wheres the damping cart? i need to refurb mine and do the bushes can the cartridge be overhauled and is there one or 2? lastly reki could i borrow that tool after kev please?

billinjah":27nyv6ry said:
the judys in the first pic wheres the damping cart?

The Englund units have adjustable damping built in, confused me at first. You can borrow the tool no probs.

Back