1997 Marin Hawk Hill restomod - not one for the purists!

That's turned into a really useable bike, I bet it gets loads of use now. I did a similar conversion on a steel Kona and there is something special about riding these '90s bikes back in the day and then the same bikes decades later with exceptional brakes, wide bars and shorter stems. For me it transforms them from a bike that I would ride occasionally when the weather was good and the going not too taxing into an any excuse to go out and ride bike, wet weather and challenging terrain no longer puts me off using it.
Looks great, I'm keen to see more 👍

That's turned into a really useable bike, I bet it gets loads of use now. I did a similar conversion on a steel Kona and there is something special about riding these '90s bikes back in the day and then the same bikes decades later with exceptional brakes, wide bars and shorter stems. For me it transforms them from a bike that I would ride occasionally when the weather was good and the going not too taxing into an any excuse to go out and ride bike, wet weather and challenging terrain no longer puts me off using it.
Looks great, I'm keen to see more 👍

You've got it in one! Have you got a pic of your Kona you could pop up?

I'm even slightly looking forward to next winter and taking it out in the mud rather than staying in :D

The next big trip I've got planned for this one is "the gap" in the Brecon Beacons. A friend wants to ride the route together, and he'll be on a gravel bike, so I thought it'd be more fun if we suffered I took this bike rather than something more appropriate, that way we can suffer on a rigid fork together :LOL:

You've got it in one! Have you got a pic of your Kona you could pop up?

I'm even slightly looking forward to next winter and taking it out in the mud rather than staying in :D

The next big trip I've got planned for this one is "the gap" in the Brecon Beacons. A friend wants to ride the route together, and he'll be on a gravel bike, so I thought it'd be more fun if we suffered I took this bike rather than something more appropriate, that way we can suffer on a rigid fork together :LOL:
I’ve just started a thread on disc modded retros and have a pic on there. Would be great to see yours on there too 👍

It’s great. So useable and confidence inspiring while not making easy trails boring but my heart wants a 17” steel Rockhopper so a winter project beckons lol

It’s great. So useable and confidence inspiring while not making easy trails boring but my heart wants a 17” steel Rockhopper so a winter project beckons lol
Do you make the modifications to the frame yourself? Looks like really neat welding!

I love that this sort of mod inherently lends itself to the bike being ridden hard off road rather than being kept nice and safe and dry in a garage forever.

I'm also suitably impressed that you've found such a lovely job on the builds when it's going to get thrown about and covered in mud on the trails - my builds inevitably default to "meh, it'll do" once I acknowledge that reality 😂

I’m happy welding the tabs on although the welds sometimes look better once painted or powder coated. The guides and cable stops I get a proper frame builder to braze on, it’s not too pricey but the quality of the job is top notch. I did the hose guides on the red one and that’s when I decided the frame builder would do the next ones lol.
I did get a quote from a lad that advertised as a welder fabricator when I injured my hand and he wanted £25 to weld a tab and brace on that i would supply and there are often scrap off cuts laying around so it can be cheap. The next one I’ll use stick on hose guides to minimise paint damage and that will cost even less.

I totally agree doing this sort of thing definitely makes you want to use them more and they are in my limited experience better than back in the day. Modern bits fitted to a retro steel frame pretty much takes away anything to worry about too. Big crash, never mind buy a cheap 26 er of any vintage and swap over the broken bits way cheaper than looking for XTR M900 etc

I do as nice a job as time, cash, patience will allow but I like to ride them hard so they don’t stay mint but I do look after them. Just like back in the day I guess.

Last edited:
Back