1997 Kona Kapu - sourced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1997 Kona Kapu

Now the ad below is public, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts towards it.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 33698.html

First off the seller was very kind and got in touch with me last week, offering this before he went public. He's also been active in answering my questions. I've decided to pass on it, because it's not what I'm after for a number of reasons that will become clear.

I'm after a 97 model. This could be one, but based on the SN of H6C3 4938 I'm not sure. I'm not sure at this stage if production had moved from Fairly Works to somewhere else, but even that format is odd for Kona with a 2nd letter. I've asked the seller to look for the more traditional placement of the SN but that's all can be found.

Which leads me onto the obvious difference to the catalogue shot: the colour and decals! I'm convinced it's a re-spray. I've never seen anything like it on any model of this era and to my eyes at least, doesn't look up to the usual standards. The decals with the gold edging, lack of name decals and placement ring aftermarket additions to me.

BUT as we've learnt recently with my Caldera, Pip's and others Ku's, never say never with what lurks in peoples garages and what Kona had tucked away for riders, warranty replacements, etc.

So what do you think? Is it a 97 Kapu? If not, what is it? I'm pretty certain it is Kapu but what age I really don't know.

fbc1mh.jpg

yLBbQd.jpg

WN95mC.jpg

o8Z781.jpg

al-onestare":fyz4pz5l said:
I'm after a 97 model. This could be one, but based on the SN of H6C3 4938 I'm not sure. I'm not sure at this stage if production had moved from Fairly Works to somewhere else, but even that format is odd for Kona with a 2nd letter.

I am under the assumption that this version of serial number was from the Hodaka Factory in Taiwan, and that the letter was the month of manufacture. So this would be have been welded in 1996 March. I don't know what the 3 after the C indicates.

As always.... ready to be corrected on this ;)

Pip.

pipmeister":27okutfa said:
al-onestare":27okutfa said:
I'm after a 97 model. This could be one, but based on the SN of H6C3 4938 I'm not sure. I'm not sure at this stage if production had moved from Fairly Works to somewhere else, but even that format is odd for Kona with a 2nd letter.

I am under the assumption that this version of serial number was from the Hodaka Factory in Taiwan, and that the letter was the month of manufacture. So this would be have been welded in 1996 March. I don't know what the 3 after the C indicates.

As always.... ready to be corrected on this ;)

Pip.

Spot on Pip, I'd forgotten about Hodaka. Kona confirm it's from there and most likely as you say, 1996 and therefore the grey 96 version.

It means I get rest easy completely but it also means we still haven't found a 97.

al-onestare":1hv62xn2 said:
Spot on Pip, I'd forgotten about Hodaka. Kona confirm it's from there and most likely as you say, 1996 and therefore the grey 96 version.

It means I get rest easy completely but it also means we still haven't found a 97.
Hey guys! I'm from the states and have been nerding out over this thread ever since I saw they above orange Kapu on Craigslist here in Washington, DC.

In fact, I'm planning to meet the seller today to check it out.

I'm a big Kona fan from back in the Stinky glory days. I ended up here trying to date it, and am disappointed to find out that its a likely respray, but that makes sense as I couldn't find any examples of the color.

Think its still worth pulling the trigger?

Thanks for all the knowledge! When I buy it I'll definitely post up some more pictures and details.

escapeartist":3cgk8crm said:
al-onestare":3cgk8crm said:

Hey guys! I'm from the states and have been nerding out over this thread ever since I saw they above orange Kapu on Craigslist here in Washington, DC.

In fact, I'm planning to meet the seller today to check it out.

I'm a big Kona fan from back in the Stinky glory days. I ended up here trying to date it, and am disappointed to find out that its a likely respray, but that makes sense as I couldn't find any examples of the color.

Think its still worth pulling the trigger?

Thanks for all the knowledge! When I buy it I'll definitely post up some more pictures and details.

The question really boils down to whether you like it or not.

For me, it's no-where near what I've after and in all honesty, there were 2 96's that have come up over the last 2-3 years (you could argue a strong case they were probably the same bike) and they were in original condition. Both commanded a similar price to this. I know which I'd pick.

The 96 was a pretty rubbish colour but I think if it was kitted out entirely in black, it would look really stealthy.

Let us know what you end up doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back