1997/8 Mtrax Full Sus

bikemeister2000":1r2hn28h said:
If it's what I think it is you have a handbuilt Reynolds 853 frame made at Raleigh Special Products. I was one on it's own and called the "Freeride".

The frame was designed by Justin Stevenson at Raleigh Special Products.

The following year it was developed into the 3 models using an imported alloy version of the frame and the 853 geometry was tweaked into the Raleigh DHO as used by Matt Farmer.

I have the protoype in my stable.

It's held up quite well. I basically lived on it from new and when it was replaced with my Orange in 2009 I still used it has a commute bike.
I even wore the rear V brakes through the rear rim it's had that much use, that's why its black and not silver.
It's been round Coed-y-Brenin and LLandegla Twice, nearly keeping up with my keen Mountain biker mate who has a Trek Remedy, before I bought the Five.
You can defiantly notice the difference on the down hill sections though, modern bikes are so much lighter and easer to control.
The bike to me was ahead of most other bikes for quite some time, As mentioned it still looks quite modern.

There's only been only one minor flaw in the design that I've noticed on it though.
Before the shock bottoms out, the Seat Stay (rear part with the V brakes mounted on it) hits the frame.
It actually hits the boss for the top pull gear mech squashing it. It did this with the original rear shock and the Fox Vanilla one shown.
I'lI fit a spacer under the shocks rubber bump stop to stop the new paint from getting damaged.

I was also confused why ball bearings were used for the bottom pivot has it only moves a fraction of a turn.
These bearings were absolutely shot, mainly due to water ingress (rust), I also wondered why shielded bearings (Z) were used and not rubber sealed (RS).

My commute is too far to bike now with a new job, But it still gets used quite regullay, mainly by other mates needing to borrow a bike or has a spare, incase My Five frame snaps again!
Said to shop keeper when I took it back under warrenty, " Never had this with my old Mtrax"

Rebuild pics finally.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,622
Last few.
The order is a bit mess up but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,621
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,621
Frame: Raleigh Mtrax

Fork: Rock Shox Tora 302 coil. (Rock shox Indy C were the Originals),

Headset: FSA (original fitted)
Stem: FSA (original was FSA but silver)
Handlebar: FSA (original was Unbranded)
Grips: Clarks

Brakes: XT V type (original was STX RC I still have in garage)
Brake Pads: Clarks
Brake Cables: Clarks Pre lube
Brake Levers: XT (original was STX RC I Still have in garage)

Shifters: STX RC 8 speed (originals fitted)
Front Derailleur: XT (1999) (forgot the original)

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore (Original I forgot but used an 1999 XT one for years)
Derailleur Cables: Clarks Pre lube
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: IG70 Shimano
Cranks: XT (1999) (original forgot and lost, might have been STX RC)
Chainrings: Deore steel
Bottom Bracket: RPM square taper
Pedals: Wellgo (originals long gone)

Hub Skewers: (originals fitted)
Rims: Front Mavic X138 (original) rear X139 (secondhand)
Hubs:STX RC (originals fitted front and rear)
Tyres: wtb velociraptor

Saddle: Azonic
Seatpost: Nicked from our lasses Carrera!

Weight: More than an Orange five

Thanks for posting the latest pics. I can see now that it isn't the 853 one, but the 7005 Alloy one that we got A-Pro to manufacture in Taiwan. It was fro 1997/8. There were 2 models using that frame. We continued to use it with a few mods, in '99, Y2K and 01.

Looks great. :D

I remember going to Bike '99 at the NEC and seeing one similar to mine on the Raleigh stand in yellow/gold in a glas case with a price of around £7000.

m trax

think i have just bought one of these
check my post "any idaes" in bikes 98 0n
where did you get the bushes from and what size,also the bottom pivot as well

cheers
tony

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!i!E4)Tw)17QBOWqNeQlkQ~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!i!E4)Tw)17QBOWqNeQlkQ~~60_12.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 457
  • $(KGrHqJ,!l4E5(pWzGcdBOWqNt(PTg~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!l4E5(pWzGcdBOWqNt(PTg~~60_12.jpg