1996 Marin Pine Mountain to split or not to split

markjohnson76

Saracen Fan
I bought this really tidy 1996 Marin Pine Mountain today. It was local and a good price. The description and one blurry photo didn't do it justice. I thought it might provide parts but when I went to collect it I found it's actually in great condition, only light use and full XT and white industries. It's very tight and original, no abuse. However there are two dents in the top tube. The tube isn't bent and the paint is good. Seems a real shame to strip it. I might use it as is or sell it whole. It's 19" so I tiny but larger than I'd use off road but good for mixed use. I have some marin lite tyres and it came with a marin frame bag and saddle bag that match. What to do with it?

Attachments

• IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_4265.jpg
    IMG_4265.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 801
  • IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 805
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 812
I'd just keep it and use it carefully. As time goes on, it will only get harder and harder to find unabused original spec rigids like these.

Why wouldn't you use a frame as big as 19" for off-road riding? I've got a 19/20" Dawes and a 23" Raleigh and use both, although I am more cautious when riding a 23" frame on rough terrain for obvious reasons!

Hi Big Hammer,

I'm on the fence as to wether to keep it. You're right that these quality steel bikes are harder and harder to find in original spec. I have a load of bikes already and really trying to cull the herd. I thought the dents on the top tube might put people off and it might be hard to sell. So be best used as a general purpose bike, it nicely matches my Mrs mint 1995 Marin Hawk hill, very 'his & hers"!

I'm 5'9" so the 19" is a little large for me for off road thrashing. The ones I use for that are generally 17.5". For road and trail use it's a good size though.

Re:

Nice find. I’m a Marin nut so I never want to see them split if in good nik like this. Obviously you’d get more £ splitting, eventually.

I had an immaculate 91 Pine Mountain stolen in SE London last month so keep a look out: had a flite, period Marin saddle pack, original DX pedals, new repro decals, and frame number was ground off by previous miscreants!

Keep it whole but change that awful saddle, it’s a lovely bike and great example.

If it’s too big why not sell it on to someone the right size?

Re:

id definitely be looking to keep that original. full strip down, re grease, clean/mint up and rebuild :cool:
only issue i envisage is touching in that satin paint.

Re: Re:

Rotorhead":1pf7up7n said:
Nice find. I’m a Marin nut so I never want to see them split if in good nik like this. Obviously you’d get more £ splitting, eventually.

I had an immaculate 91 Pine Mountain stolen in SE London last month so keep a look out: had a flite, period Marin saddle pack, original DX pedals, new repro decals, and frame number was ground off by previous miscreants!

There’s an immaculate pine mountain on eBay in Tunbridge well, not yours is it? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3346777275

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

No mine was grey zolatone with orange front end. Plus it wasn’t that immaculate. Pretty nice bike....

Thx for looking out tho.

Re: Re:

Rotorhead":3oviav9p said:
No mine was grey zolatone with orange front end. Plus it wasn’t that immaculate. Pretty nice bike....

Thx for looking out tho.

No worries, I’ll keep my eyes open for you. What size frame was yours? Are you asked south east London then?

Latest posts

Back