1996 Kona Koa vs Lava Dome

Good catch! I found that too.

First thing I noticed was how heavy the wheels are. Was this the brand for the original set?:

49963128381_fa6f28fc6d_k_d.jpg

All details are in the catalogue section of 'Archive and Gallery' in the bar at the top of the page. Those looks like nasty cheap tyres though.

So yeah I ended up with the 1995 Kona Lava Dome. Not too happy with my acquisition but "you can't win them all." I got fooled by my earlier find (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=412498) and very much impressed with so I committed to this one without much hesitation. Also the owner wasn't there only his brother and he wouldn't budge on the price or listen to reason...

The wheels are not original, the cassette too. I think the 1995 model came with a freewheel not a cassette anyway. I was never fond of Konas but I do like the aesthetic appeal of the 1996 models... besides that, these bikes don't have much going on - grip shift with XT derailleurs - I can't make sense of that. STX crank and brakes... mediocre. I may part out the Lava Dome and keep and rebuild the Cinder Cone...

Definitely all models since the late 80s had freehubs nad cassettes not freewheels. The reason Konas remain likes is that they still are great to ride.
The Lava Dome and Cindercone shared the same frame in the mid-90s; everything else is garnish.
I bet nobody could tell the difference between STX and XT riding in the dark. :LOL:

The aesthetic bits I like... Stem, bar, fork, headset, brakes/levers and frame with the decals (love the 1996 theme)... however, would I ever pay £590 plus postage. No.

Back