1996 Kona Kilauea - re-freshed for 2010?

I really like this bike! My Lava Dome is (was) the purple and silver 2 tone. I have chosen a single colour powdercoat as its about a quarter of the price of a respray.

That paint job looks every inch to be worth the £200. Stunning.

I think with the "right" modern parts you will have a useable and modern /upgraded take on a retro classic.

I really like this bike! My Lava Dome is (was) the purple and silver 2 tone. I have chosen a single colour powdercoat as its about a quarter of the price of a respray.

That paint job looks every inch to be worth the £200. Stunning.

I think with the "right" modern parts you will have a useable and modern /upgraded take on a retro classic.

Lovely - probably the nicest Kona paint job that I can remember seeing.

Guides for continuous rear brake outer too :cool: .

Didn't you consider having a caliper mount added at the same time ? - that would have made it the dogs bollox IMHO (but still too pretty to use anywhere with stones and rocks :oops: ).

Andy R":2qzgeotq said:

Didn't you consider having a caliper mount added at the same time ? - that would have made it the dogs bollox IMHO (but still too pretty to use anywhere with stones and rocks :oops: ).

I did think long and hard about putting a disc mount on there too. However, I know from using V-brakes that those Columbus tubes are very thin and flex under force and I really didn't think it would be a good idea to expect it to take that amount of load.
So clearly I want to run Vs at the moment, but went for these guides so that I have the option of running some Magura rim brakes in the future.

Built her up with the main control points last night and installed the matching P2 forks - not shown in these photos. Will post some more later this evening.

jonnyboy666":nej7ilr5 said:
this is the dilemma i'm having with my 92 explosif, stick with originality or do something very different.

the thing that is stopping me doing something different is that i had my 93 clockwork painted british racing green, and it looks great but i still sort of wish i had the classic orange white fade done regardless of the fact i have the 07 version in the same colour!

when i see i job like yours looking fantastic i think yep get something awsome done that's not original!!!

basically . . . . . aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!! is what is going through my head when i think of this issue!!!! :x :x :x

damn lovely paint job you have there though :D

Same dilema I had. The conclusion I came to was that in my view there is nothing wrong with updating classic frames like these with new parts, which is what I am doing.
As for colour - Kona encouraged custom colours with their Hot and Ku, so why not with another model? The one thing I attempted to do was keep the spirit of the time in the design i.e. used colours/finish similar to models of that era, and I went so far as use an actual Kona Hot design as the basis for this.
When the frame arrived back yesterday, I really didn't know what to expect, but as soon as I took the frame from the box I was blown away and absolutely knew I'd made the right decision to do something different.

kaledi":xg79abfy said:
Andy R":xg79abfy said:

I did think long and hard about putting a disc mount on there too. However, I know from using V-brakes that those Columbus tubes are very thin and flex under force and I really didn't think it would be a good idea to expect it to take that amount of load.
So clearly I want to run Vs at the moment, but went for these guides so that I have the option of running some Magura rim brakes in the future.

I don't think (based on experience of retrofitting caliper mounts) that you'd have any problems - I reckon the Magura rim brakes will stress the stays more.

A beautiful looking frame all the same - I look forward to seeing it built with the matching forks :cool: .

A great take on a classic :D
Really like it, sometimes people go too over the top with resprays but this is awesome.

Looking forward to seeing it made up. Mice to see some P2's on there!

Back