1996 Kona Hot, original mavic crossmax wheelset, full M952

Hey guys...

Luv this forum and how you guys piece things together. I used to be a Kona dealer 96-99 and saw a bunch of different iterations of the Hot come through the shop for those years pending what was spec'd by the customer. But I vividly recall the 96 having both the rear brake and FD on the top tube. 97 I am starting to second guess my self on, but my personal 98 Hot has all three running along the top tube and the down tube is shaped at the head tube and BB (and has drops that has the K stamped in it. The one I am selling has the Mountain Goat Drop outs and its S/N# is HO9611985 The first two characters identifies it is a Hot the next two characters delineate the year "96".

What do you make of that?

Re: pix and cable stops

magas":1if5dmir said:
Canuck":1if5dmir said:
magas":1if5dmir said:
wasn't that the cable routing layout for the 97 Kona range ?

All my 96 Konas does have single on top and double on downtube, incl. the Ku which was custom too, like the Hot. This is also illustrated in the 96 brochures here in the "Archive & Gallery"

No saying that this isn't a Hot but I would assume that it is a 97 welded in the last months of 1996.

Any details of the original paint will help dating the frame exactly.

Nice frames they are, anyway.

Most of the '96 Hots I've seen have a rear brake stop (a year before the rest of the line) so nothing unusual there :D

She's a post Teesdale Hot made by Mountain Goat ;)

its not about the rear brake stop - its about the double cable stops on the toptube - that's what I have never seen on any 96 Kona - neither on a Hahana nor on Hot/Ku/HeiHei - the goats on the rear drop out I have seen on 97 Hot's also.

But maybe "custom" by Kona means really custom ;)

No orignal paint and decals = hard to value :?

Regarding the cable stops I see what you mean now and you could be right, late '96 perhaps.
I have heard that the Hots were all welded out of house minus the cable stops which were then applied by Kona themselves after receiving the bare frames and then sent off to paint. Kona are famously inconsistent with these little details so I gave up giving them much thought a long time ago. :LOL: That goes for their catalogues as well, good to a point but still with inconsistancies.
As for the goat stamp, I wasn't insinuating it to mean it was defo a '96, just more proof of it being a Hot and who made it. ;)

magas":257ew74d said:
well said Canuck, cheers :)
any idea: how many Hot frames had been produced in 96 ?

Good question, wish I knew mate...
Info I've found show's Mountain Goat/Altitude only built Hot's for a short while after Teesdale stopped in '95. After Altitude stopped came Enigma who claim to have built them for '97 & '98 and there is said to only be 100 of these made. Unfortunatly it's hard to be accurate but I can only guess there weren't many produced in '96 ;) Anybody know how to get hold of Jeff Lindsay? :LOL:
Here's an interesting read about the fella, courtesy of Mombat :D

http://mombat.org/96Attitude.jpg

Re: interesting info

I've got one of those late run 97/98 Hots with the shaped down tube. Didn't know they were so rare or that enigma made them!

The 96 mountain goat hot is still for sale though kids.... Along with a bunch of high end period accurate parts!

Canuck":2svakf8d said:
magas":2svakf8d said:
well said Canuck, cheers :)
any idea: how many Hot frames had been produced in 96 ?

Good question, wish I knew mate...
Info I've found show's Mountain Goat/Altitude only built Hot's for a short while after Teesdale stopped in '95. After Altitude stopped came Enigma who claim to have built them for '97 & '98 and there is said to only be 100 of these made. Unfortunatly it's hard to be accurate but I can only guess there weren't many produced in '96 ;) Anybody know how to get hold of Jeff Lindsay? :LOL:
Here's an interesting read about the fella, courtesy of Mombat :D

http://mombat.org/96Attitude.jpg

Excellent facts - thanks for sharing!

ryanmtnman":2svakf8d said:
I've got one of those late run 97/98 Hots with the shaped down tube. Didn't know they were so rare or that enigma made them!

Got any pic's?

Re: 96 vs 97

its_kirby":31npnfm0 said:
And 97 hots had the shaped down tube....

Not mine.

WANT this one...preferably Roland Green's one...which was a Hei Hei painted in this schema. Kona politely told me to piss off when I asked them :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

al-onestare":34m809m4 said:
its_kirby":34m809m4 said:

Not mine.

WANT this one...preferably Roland Green's one...which was a Hei Hei painted in this schema. Kona politely told me to piss off when I asked them :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Haha it was a great colour scheme. The tubes are so pencil thin aswell.... One day another will show its face on eBay, it took me some time to source that beauty, patina and all :cool:

its_kirby":36689mif said:
al-onestare":36689mif said:
its_kirby":36689mif said:

Not mine.

Haha it was a great colour scheme. The tubes are so pencil thin aswell.... One day another will show its face on eBay, it took me some time to source that beauty, patina and all :cool:

Is it wrong to dream about the rasta flamed 97 Hot in a 19/20" oozing with XTR? Because I do, regularly :oops:

Latest posts

Back