1996 Kona Explosif / Hope Ti-glide !!Price reduced!!

ja

Retro Newbie
1996 Kona Explosif Frame. Columbus max tubing. 15.5" centre-centre, 18" centre-top. The original owner perchased in 1996 and then used for about 4 months and had it in a cupboard for 8 years. Until a fellow retrobiker purchased it and then used it for approx 1 1/2 years, but it was 1 of 3 bikes so didn't get used much. I purchased it a couple of years ago and built it up. It was a childhood dream to own one of these frames, and many people say they ride better than good old 853! I used it as a second bike and mainly commuted on it. For the last year and 1/2 it hasn't been ridden or built up and has been wrapped in a blanket. So really it has only been built up for about 3 years of its life and not used a great deal. It's been well looked after and is in amazing condition. A lovely ride! And it rides well with 100mm forks too. £110 posted

Hope Ti-glide wheels, Black and Ti coloured, with disc spiders and lockrings and 180/160 5 bolt discs (almost new), rims 519CD's (grey ceramic finish). Excellent condition. Disc or V'brake. £150 posted

Cheers,
Was that a rear disc brake adaptor shown? Could you please tell me which type, as i was looking for a late frame with disc mounts, but would be keen to know what you had fitted and how you got on with it.
Cheers,
Johnny.

It is an old hope disc brake adaptor. It worked really well. there are a few different types on the market now. i think A2Z make one. Have a search on ebay, i did remember seen a couple on there a few months ago, so they might come up every now and then. it attaches to the v'brake boss at the top and then lines up with the drop out and clamps tight with the skewer. Really solid design and adjustable. It was easy to fit and align and gave a really solid brake, better than the front one most of the time. :eek:) Hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure that the frame is a size 18 (Kona measure centre of bb to top of seat tube). Could you confirm please?

And what is the condition of the chainstays behind that black stuff and vegetation please?

Hi Anthony, You're right it is an 18" but 15.5" centre to centre.
Here are some links to pictures of the chain stays, in the other pics there is a fair bit of mud on them. Just cleaned them off and took these. there is some tyre/mud rub on each side, taken the paint off only. I have a touch-up pot that is included with the sale. the drive side stay was covered with an old innertube and looks like it does when i bought it underneath. there are a few chips, some have surface rust, but i'll treat that before i send it (waxoil). http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yrlxkd&o ... quality=70
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yrlxke&o ... quality=70
Ja

Latest posts

Back