1996 Kona Cinder Cone

kaiser38

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I've recently found a Kona Cinder Cone in a very good state. It's fully stock, except tires and saddle. I've paid 200€ for this.

All origin equipement are here, XT RD and Sachs Centera FD, Curve OM brake, Sugino Impel crankset, mavic 221, and seems like new. This bike have been used sometimes, then stocked in a garage...

It's a little tall for me for riding in mountain, but with some adaptation it will be good to ride for work, on road, large path, not technical track

I project to put Schwalbe Billy Bronkers tire.
I bought a velocity stem, shorter than the original (100mm vs 125mm).

Now, I seek for an inline seat post, to front my position. Actually the race light kona have a too big setback.

I have a doubt for handlebar. If I keep the origin straight bar, I would have a race position. For riding confortably to go work, I could put a bar like surly open bar, to rise my position. What do you think about ?

So, I'll continue the thread to show the growth of this old Kona !

Best regards

20240916_201524.jpg
've fo

A period riser would look better imo - silver or blue anodised?

96 predates everything being painted black like everything surly🤣

I'm not sure there would be an easy way to put a super curvy handlebar like the Surly Open bar in a velocity stem without some serious bending open of the clamp. 31.8mm 2 bolt clamp stems give you a ton of choices for "alt" handlebars with nice backsweep, rise or even going with moto style bars. I put a quill stem to threadless stem adapter on my Cinder Cone and it works and looks great. If you want to keep the Velocity stem and the period correctness, then a 25.4mm vintage riser bar it is.

SimWorks makes some nice silver bars in 25.4 with a good amount of back sweep. Check out the SimWorks Getaround bar getaround.PNG

Last edited:
yep - I'm very much considering something similar for my lava dome build :)

nitto also make some nice swoopy bars and risers with more backsweep than usual which helps with reach (and their bars often have 25.4 clamp diameters as well) Think they probably make the sim works ones as well

Hi, Thanks a lot for your replies,

Simworks = Nitto ? Seems to be made by nitto, may be with different specs.
I see B230AAF bar that would be a good option. The color is not to glossy as well ?
Kona bar is a anodized alloy and not look like chrome bar...

Best regards

Hi, Thanks a lot for your replies,

Simworks = Nitto ? Seems to be made by nitto, may be with different specs.
I see B230AAF bar that would be a good option. The color is not to glossy as well ?
Kona bar is a anodized alloy and not look like chrome bar...

Best regards
Yes and no. SimWorks is its own company that designs and outsources the manufacturing to Nitto and other companies depending on the component

Back