1996 Klein Attitude

unbobfinch

Dirt Disciple
I recently picked this one up to add to my garage. It has a few minor nicks but really is in great shape. I think I got it for a steal. I'm not a fan of gripshift so I'm planning to swap out the shifters/brake levers for a set of XTR M951s. I'll put the matching XTR rear derailleur & v-brakes on it and some knobby tires too. I'm also hoping to find an old Syncros 31.6 seatpost for it and possibly some Judy SL lowers for the shocks. I think the yellow would look better than the XCs. I don't know much about Klein headsets. This one looks like it's missing a spacer or two. The spacers aren't like a typical threadless style. I'm not sure what holds it together as the stem doesn't fit tight against it. I'm sure I'll be doing some searching online to learn more. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 12060257093_797b9c6471_c.jpg
    12060257093_797b9c6471_c.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 12060357504_1abc979bb6_c.jpg
    12060357504_1abc979bb6_c.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 12060262013_efae594bff_c.jpg
    12060262013_efae594bff_c.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • 12059984545_f53e1a18e8_c.jpg
    12059984545_f53e1a18e8_c.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,097
Nice find! The colour "Team" of 96 is nice and underated. However, you should get yellow Judy SL lowers.

Finding a 31.6 Syncros seatpost will not be easy and cheap. But good luck! I have seen many 31.6 Controltech however sell for little money on ebay USA.

This Klein colour scheme is sooooo underrated; and for this reason they go for a steal!

I purchased mine on Ebay, for just over £600; in perfect condition.

There aren’t many 90s bikes that match so well with the Yellow Judy SL colour.
This one does! See below!!

The matching MC2 is a rarity, which I’ve only seen on the catalogue.
Usually black.

A group of us owners should get together to have their MC2s painted at the same time, saving money!! :cool:

Klein owners love ridged forks, which I agree with, but having 4 of them; I want front suspension on my Team!!

Pic from the 96 catalogue... Awesome!
8646983353_73f58afecb_b.jpg

You should ditch the V-Brakes and get some 737 Cantis, they are great brakes!
I sold the v-brake converter for £50.

The Syncros seatpost is preferred, but Thompson Elite's were available not long after.
I only have one 31.6 Syncros post, for another bike, so will be using a Thompson on mine for now.

However, the slightly later Syncros posts, with horizontal downward writing, look identical and the logo can be rubbed off and replaced with a vertical decal ;)

I had the Syncros post in mind because I knew the catalog said they came with one. I know they are hard to come by, I've been searching for a black alloy 27.2 for a while now. I kind of like the black MC2 and I think a black post would make the bike look much better. I hadn't thought about Control Tech. That might be a good option. The current post is a Trek System 2 with a Specialized seat on it.

I'm going to guess this was a late '96 model since it has the M739 crank, brakes, & levers. It also has the M738 front hub. I wasn't too concerned about putting the XTR stuff on it because the bike doesn't match the catalog as is and the XTR stuff would still be period correct.

I think I really did steal this one. I don't want to make everyone too jealous but I think it might cost me more for the seatpost & Judy SLs than what I paid for the bike. I found this one local for $150! I really couldn't pass it up!

Nice bargain! The MC2 handlebar-stem-unit is worth 150 USD alone! So don't worry about investing a bit more.

If you get bored by the colour you can get done something like this: many 1996 "Team"-colour endet up like this...

etoe_klein_nightstorm_frameset_72dpi1.jpg

However, I am a fan of the "Team"-colour. Do keep it as the frame seems in good condition, too.

Send user kleinrenzo a PM; the paintjob on the pic was done for him by ETOE (Germany). Jonrock espcializes on paintjob for MC1-frames (until 1993) including Storm which was also available on MC2 frames. Both have long waiting lists.

Latest posts

Back