1996 Hei Hei in Canada

MoeBetter

Retro Newbie
I’m new here, Hello from Canada!
A few years ago I was gifted this Kona Hei Hei from an older friend of mine who was losing his eyesight and didn't ride it anymore. I have ridden it as is occasionally in the last couple years.

1996 frame
Blue & grey decals
Was purchased in Canmore Alberta
Seems to have had new parts put on in 2000 or so like the Sid.

SID sl fork
XTR derailleurs & brakes
XT cranks
Crank bro blue eggbeater pedals
Mavic rims & Hugi hubs
#B19936

I’m thinking of changing it over to a surly corner bar & service the SID sl.
The plan is slowed down a bit because while I was cleaning I discovered some cracks in the rear rim. So I’m going to build or have built a new wheel on the Hugi hub. IMG_3597.jpeg IMG_3598.jpeg

I found a mavic 222 rim and I have taken the old cracked mavic 217 rim off the hub. Next step is to re set the spokes into the “new” rim. First wheel build for me so I’m not spending any more just yet. I’m going to see how it goes back together as is. Pics to come… 🎡

I built my first wheel!
Haven’t ridden on it yet but it’s straight & true & was pretty easy following along with the park tool you tube video.
Laced it at the kitchen table & tensioned & trued it up on another 26” bike using the brake pads as my reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpeg
    IMG_3959.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3957.jpeg
    IMG_3957.jpeg
    501.7 KB · Views: 10
IMG_3993.jpeg IMG_3994.jpeg Back up and riding! Still a work in progress. I’m on the hunt for replacement drive train components. I’m fine keeping the derailleurs but new cassette, chainrings, and chain are needed. I wrapped bar tape over rubber grips in the drops for a nice comfy ride. Continental ride tour 1.75 tires were the in stock option for a skinny, gravely, 26” tire at my local shop. The feel pretty speedy & I’ll be using this new setup in a fun triathlon relay next weekend!
The service kit for the fork is on its way & I’ll tackle that as time permits.
So far the rear wheel build is looking solid.
😁

Latest posts

Back