1995 - Raleigh M-Trax 1000

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

I just bought the frameset and forks shown below for my partners work bike. I know nothing about the Raleigh M-Trax 1000 so can you chip in any info and or advice you have.

I'll convert this post into a general info and build post when I know more.

Thanks in advance

Trebz

Re: 1995 - Raleigh M-Trax 1000 - Information needed.

i was watching this one on Ebay too, if you paid what it was on for you have got a good deal. im looking forward to seeing the finished product.

what put me off was the unknown with the forks, and the availability of parts. I will buy one to restore one day but i have a Kona Cinder Cone at the moment!

Re: 1995 - Raleigh M-Trax 1000 - Information needed.

I'll not be using the forks. Too heavy for it's intended use. I'll probably keep them in the loft ready for the day we pass the bike on.

mtrax

hi, nice frame ive had my `94 1000 from new so am quite fond of it, bit heavy in standard spec,alivio etc but my advice would be to build it light as possible on a budget. i rebuilt mine starting by swapping out the original Raleigh steel forks for some gt cromo rigids and saved 250g, then changed the stem, bars and seatpost for alloy ones. lighter groupset stx rc/deore lx is good value. i managed to get my lx specced one down to 26.5lbs.
the rear triangle is where all the weight is due to it being made of hi tensile steel not reynolds k2.
still rides really nice pretty fast.

cheers
andy

Attachments

• mtrax lx spec.jpg
    mtrax lx spec.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,700
Hi Wayne !

I'd finished the 'Dry Build' in about 20 minutes after getting home from picking it up. I had to wait for some new A-Headset spacers to arrive until I could complete it proper but it's done and dusted now. The missus is at work on it today actually.

I love the fact that it's got Deore XT / Mavic wheels on it and the panniers cost more then the bike itself !!!

All the best.

Back