1995 Proflex Animal - Rebirth in progress

I'm also looking to rebiuld a 1995 Animal. You are very fortunate to have both front and rear Noleens, and no cracked seat tube. The re-paint looks good too, much like powdercoat.

If I recall correctly, the headset is strange in the way that it has a 1" stem, and a 1 1/8" tube. A 1 1/8" headset will work?

The headset is 1 1/8th as you mentioned but you have to use a reducing cone in the top bearing to take up the slack. I just reused the one that was in the frame when I got it but used a new headset. The lower end of the steerer has a step on it to take the bottom 1 1/8th race and cone.

Well the final piece of the puzzle came in today courtesy of CRC, a Wipperman Connex 9SP chain. So, home from work, quick ham and cheese sanga, and then fired up the chain breaker! Now all I have left to do to go for a decent ride out on it is to fit the RK005 seal kit to the Vectors and go for a spin. I couldn't resist after fitting the chain to go for a quick lap of the block, super slick shifting courtesy of, gasp, heresy, M970's and M770 rear mech. Pretty chuffed the way she's come together, even Mrs S thinks its so nice she wants a bike now. Suitable ladies retro recommendation will be taken! Big thanks to Arran, Steve and Paul for helping in this build and everyone else for keeping old metal alive!

As usual, crappy iPhone pics but i'll get some action shots of it out in the wild this weekend!

4720754880_decee9258c_b.jpg

4720754466_5d54932496_b.jpg

Looks like new from these pics! I like the bottle cage. Maybe remove the stickers from the rims?

I keep looking at this build, and I love it.... :cool: :cool: :cool: looks really clean in white, but really aggresive and purposeful with those forks... :twisted:

The AT-4's look good too IMHO... ;) :cool: :cool:

As I'm in the process of putting my 857 back together this thread drew me in. Wish I was on the list earlier as I could've put you on to Jessie from "The Speed Shop" on Johnson (Johnston ?) St, Fitzroy. He bought the remaining Proflex stock from the distributor when they stopped selling them here. He has about a dozen '86 frames, I think they are all red 856's. ALL NEW! I cracked my original 857 (after seven years of riding) and he GAVE me the only Beast frame he had. I think is is an 86 Beast but it is exactly the same as the 857 so it's going to get striped and painted back in it's original red. He also has boxes of shocks although he is limited on internals if you need a rebuild. I think I've run his stock pretty low on that front as I snapped several shocks in short order after many, many years of trouble free riding. There may be a few pairs of forks around as well.

The Model Citizen":15gvsltd said:
As I'm in the process of putting my 857 back together this thread drew me in. Wish I was on the list earlier as I could've put you on to Jessie from "The Speed Shop" on Johnson (Johnston ?) St, Fitzroy. He bought the remaining Proflex stock from the distributor when they stopped selling them here. He has about a dozen '86 frames, I think they are all red 856's. ALL NEW! I cracked my original 857 (after seven years of riding) and he GAVE me the only Beast frame he had. I think is is an 86 Beast but it is exactly the same as the 857 so it's going to get striped and painted back in it's original red. He also has boxes of shocks although he is limited on internals if you need a rebuild. I think I've run his stock pretty low on that front as I snapped several shocks in short order after many, many years of trouble free riding. There may be a few pairs of forks around as well.
Hi Model Citizen,

If your beast has the x57 frame, then it is a 1997. The only x57 frame in 1996 was the 956LE with a carbon swingarm.

Show some pics when it is painted.

Thanks. I'll post a shot of the new frame, which is still in it's original "Beast" paint at the moment, in a couple of days. I've been doing a fit up just to check things fit so it has the swing arm and a pair of forks on it so I'd be interested in the collective opinion.

Back