1995 Kona Cinder Cone restomod build thread

@90's Ninja you know you've done a good thing, when your Cinder Cone build can stand tall in a lineup like that. Looks fantastic, 100% would love to ride that
Thanks Matti. I know that a mid tier, mid school Kona will never hold a candle to a titanium Merlin or a titanium rektek but its nice to hear that there is appreciation for my mid school-modern mix builds.

Great ride yesterday. Fall is in the air

I know that a mid tier, mid school Kona will never hold a candle to a titanium Merlin or a titanium rektek
No, they're not on the same level, but yours has nothing to be ashamed of. I've never even seen a titanium bike in person, so I appreciate the builds that reflect what the average mtbiker got their hands on. I like the elevation of the average to sublime

Hi guys,

I'm going to rebuild a Cinder Cone 1996. It's destiny to be used for road / large path to commute to my job.

I would change the handlebar to increase comfort (to avoid race position each day I go work...). Have you experienced bar like open bar surly or other with large bend ?

So, I have a kona race light seat post, with setback. I search an O'beam or other seatpost 27,0mm without setback... Difficult to find it.
May be I must buy a 25,4 seatpost like thomson silver and put shim use...

I'll post the pictures of my rebuild if you are interested. I'm living in french Alps

best regards

Hi guys,

I'm going to rebuild a Cinder Cone 1996. It's destiny to be used for road / large path to commute to my job.

I would change the handlebar to increase comfort (to avoid race position each day I go work...). Have you experienced bar like open bar surly or other with large bend ?

So, I have a kona race light seat post, with setback. I search an O'beam or other seatpost 27,0mm without setback... Difficult to find it.
May be I must buy a 25,4 seatpost like thomson silver and put shim use...

I'll post the pictures of my rebuild if you are interested. I'm living in french Alps

best regards
Start a thread. Popular bikes so will be of interest to a lot of us! Great riding there!

Not just a gorgeous build but a practical bike, kinda thing you look forward to riding, ya know? Those are some fine bikes. You did it justice imo, that's just a fantastic build. Those Kooka cranks are just *mwah* exquisite
Thanks, Dr Dave, its my "daily driver". 30 speeds, crisp braking and a fun rider. I'm really happy how the Kooka's turned out. Only change I'll make is I'll probably have to mount my SimWorks Homage tires soon for some more corner gripping over the fall leaves and soupy muck and throw on the Maxxis DTH's again next summer

Back