1995 Kona Cinder Cone restomod build thread

90's Ninja

Retro Guru
Just finished touching up the rock chips and giving the paint a 2 stage cut polish. I've attached a picture of a near perfect match nail polish for anyone else with a 95 Cinder Cone that has been wanting a touch up paint. I brought the frame into the cosmetic store to make sure I got it right. (409 Jazzy Jade by Sally Hanson Xtreme Wear )

95 Cinder Cone frame.jpg touch up.jpg Bike Cellar.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished touching up the rock chips and giving the paint a 2 stage cut polish. I've attached a picture of a near perfect match nail polish for anyone else with a 95 Cinder Cone that has been wanting a touch up paint. I brought the frame into the cosmetic store to make sure I got it right. (409 Jazzy Jade by Sally Hanson Xtreme Wear )

View attachment 867361View attachment 867362
I have one of these frames and kula same year. Thanks for the paint tip.

I was thinking of slapping on some Curve cranks but after reading multiple posts of people commenting how they are "soft as cheese", I'm opting for my Kooka Forged cranks. I think polished cranks will suit the build better than black. Time for the rubber gloves and aircraft paint stripper
20240712_185526.jpg

2 stage meaning I used two different polish compounds. The first is a little more abrasive to get the scratches out, the second brings it to a nice shine. Finish it up with a car wax and it will look great.

The model paints available in Canada are now mostly water based enamel. Decided to go with nail polish as it will be more durable. Maybe the hobby shops in your area still stock oil based paints

Back