1995 Kona Cinder Cone restomod build thread

2 stage meaning I used two different polish compounds. The first is a little more abrasive to get the scratches out, the second brings it to a nice shine. Finish it up with a car wax and it will look great.

The model paints available in Canada are now mostly water based enamel. Decided to go with nail polish as it will be more durable. Maybe the hobby shops in your area still stock oil based paints
So you polished the scratches out before applying paint? (Sorry probably a dumb question)

So you polished the scratches out before applying paint? (Sorry probably a dumb question)
I did. Since I mostly had rock chips, I chose to polish first then dab the paint on the chips. The nail polish flows nicely to fill in the chips and I just applied wax to the entire frame after

I used the finest tipped brush I could find to do the touch ups.

I did. Since I mostly had rock chips, I chose to polish first then dab the paint on the chips. The nail polish flows nicely to fill in the chips and I just applied wax to the entire frame after

I used the finest tipped brush I could find to do the touch ups.
Thanks for the tips!

What wax did you use?

Just like a car polishing/wax?
Mother's California Gold wax

Before hitting your frame with the polishing wheel, you might want to apply the paint to a test piece of metal to see if that paint hardens enough when dry to take to the wheel without swelling

Slow progress waiting for parts. All that's left is the brakes that are on order. Just got back from a DIY media blasting place. I used glass bead media to blast the Kooka Cranks after stripping the anodizing (thought it was powder coat... WRONG) and they came out beautiful. The finish looked so similar to the Paul Love levers that I decided not to polish and just rubbed them with some lanolin oil based corrosion inhibitor to get some protection on them.

Mating the cranks to some NOS Blackspire Super Pro rings, and box fresh Sim Works Tiny Bubbly pedals that I had from another build

Cranks rings levers.jpg Kooka Paul.jpg Kooka Forged.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back