1994 Wheeler RSA?

unbobfinch

Dirt Disciple
I just picked this bike up from a guy not far from my house. I bought it mainly for the xtr parts. I've tried to do a bit of research to find out more about the frame but there isn't much info that I can find. It looks, to me, like a 1994 Wheeler RSA. There is a small picture of one on Wheeler's webpage. It has a unique straddle cable for the rear brake that seems to be missing a bolt or shaft of some kind to make it work properly.

Does anybody else have one of these bikes? Can anybody show me a picture of a functional rear brake? Does anybody know much about the rear shock or how to work on it? There's a little bit a play in the rear shock or linkage. I'm not sure that I'll hold onto the frame but I thought it was unique. I'd love to get any info you have to offer or to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

11522131643_22c0d90533_b.jpg

11522013045_1ec24aed5b_b.jpg

I wish I could help you but I don't know anything about that bike other than for some reason I really like it, a nice and clean lined retro full susser. Hopefully some more knowledgeable folk can help. Xtr seems to be in nice condition, looks as though the bike hasn't seen much action.

It looks a lot like this;

viewtopic.php?t=225763

Maybe that crescent shaped cable stop should be turned 90 degrees?

It looks like there are bolts from non-threaded, post-style cantilever brakes on either side of the straddle mechanism, but I can't figure how they'd come into play.

Like that :cool:

It looks like you're missing a pivot shaft that goes through the plated/stainless things on either side and through the larger of those holes in the machined part with the hook. That would mean that when you pulled on the brake, the half moon piece would pull the hooked part towards the stop on the frame which would in turn lift the straddle cable and apply the brakes.

Ingenious (if a bit over complicated).

Is that a threaded hole in the top of the plated part- if it is, it may well be for a grub screw to retain the missing shaft. Shouldn't be too difficult to source some suitable stainless bar to make a replacement.

Did I mention how cool the bike is? :xmas-big-grin:

I finally got around to disassembling the bike. Found out the black coil looking thing for the rear shock is just a rubber bumper. It looks like the whole thing is held together with chain ring bolts. The bottom bracket has a sleeve that the cups thread into and the chain stays pivot on that sleeve.
I haven't been able to get the drive side bb cup out of the sleeve. Seems to be seized in there.

Here are some pics.

11918162583_868d61b4b5_b.jpg

11918355574_dcae04c590_b.jpg

11918391773_94514d5083_b.jpg

Simple and quite elegant- I like it.

The only part which has me scratching my head a little is the rocker. It looks like it's made from pressed steel. It would require a lot of effort to make the tooling needed to produce that. I'd have expected some machined alloy part on anything 'boutique made'. That smacks more of far eastern mass production to me. :?

Still cool though :cool:

The rocker is definitely alloy but it's not fancy. I don't think I would call this thing 'boutique' by any stretch of the word. I can't find any kind of serial number or markings on it either. If I was placing bets, I'd agree with you and say that is was built in Taiwan. It is kind of cool but not really my style. I ended up listing on ebay tonight. I had fun tinkering with it for a while though.

Hi,
Cool frame.
Are they steel tubes bonded to alloy lugs or Ti tubes? only asking because of the name on the top tube.
Either way it's pretty unusual.
:)

Back