1994 Wheeler RSA?

It is definitely not titanium although the guy I bought it from tried to tell me that it was. It's made from titanal. From what I could gather, titanal is an aluminum alloy made by AMAG in Austria. It was only used in bike frames for a year or two because they had a tendency to break. The tubes were made from a sheet of metal and seemed together (I think the seems had a high failure rate). The tubes are bonded to alloy lugs. At least I think they are alloy lugs. They didn't feel like steel but I didn't do a magnet test. Here's a couple more pics.
11522019565_18e0e8f638_b.jpg

11522087006_e3e2ca2897_b.jpg

11522119493_9d65a3cc60_b.jpg

Quite like it though. :D

It has a sort of industrial/utilitarian quality. Puts me in mind of pipe railings:

2150BM.jpg

Have you ridden it? What's it like?

I haven't really ridden it. I took it down the driveway and back but that's it. It didn't feel like the rear suspension was working. The more I look at it though I can't figure out how it can work with the way it's setup. The bolt that runs through the rubber bumper is screwed in at both ends. I can't see how the bumper could collapse without that bolt being able to move.
I don't know, I was hoping someone else had one and could shed some light on how it works.

Back