1994 Kona project 2s

94Kilauea

Retro Newbie
I own a 94 Kilauea, that currently has a pair of Judy XCs on the front that I bought in 96 with my first pay packet. I sold the original P2s about ten years ago on ebay. For a while now I've been wanting to get another set to replace them. I recently won a pair on ebay that I thought were 94s but it turns out they were 95s. I hadn't realised that whilst the decals stayed the same, the colour changed.

So, does anyone know if the forks were the same colour across the range in 94? I think they were, but I want to make sure before I buy again.

Now that I'm stuck with just 94s, and only wanting the triple butted ones, and needing a reasonably long steerer tube (19" frame), I may have a long wait. If anyone has a set that meets the bill get in touch!

The Kilauea is slightly odd in that the forks are the same colour as the frame and stem.

Other bikes in the range had different colour forks and stem compared to the frame - here is one for example http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 6.jpg.html

Problem you will find is that most Kilauea buyers probably got suspension forks from new, or sold them on a long time ago (like you did!). 19" is a popular frame size so it might not be an impossible task to get some though.

Be aware that the Kilauea isn't really silver, it has a very very slight brownish tinge so if you spray some forks silver it won't match.

I had my Kilauea done all over in a metallic silver and it isn't the same as the original, but no one notices and it looks bloomin amazing anyway! (see link in signature!)

Re:

Thanks. The ones I just got off ebay had 1995 stamped on the steerer tube. You might just be able to see it in the attached photo. The 94s had the same decals but are more silver. Shame as they are in very good condition.

Attachments

• P2s.jpg
    P2s.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 384
Maybe have them sprayed black and put new decals on? Probably best not to try and match the colour as it'll never work so going black would look good.

Back