1994 Kona Lava Dome questions

Ahoy

Retro Newbie
I recently purchased this 1994 Lava Dome for $80 CAD on Craigslist. The stem appears to be missing the decorative(?) cap. What did it look like? There's also a crack in the headset collar - I assume I need to buy a whole new set?

Attachments

• DSC00606.JPG
    DSC00606.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 982
Welcome, and down to the issues...

Stem "top-cap" - don't know if anyone as found a correct size replacement, SJSCycles (UK based) do some top caps, but seem to remember these don't fit the Kona stems (happy to be corrected).

Re: Impact headset (and it's crack) - looks like its been severely over tightened. This will need replacing as the allen bolt that was over tightened is what stops the threaded collar (with the crack) from loosening.

What to replace it with:
  • Find a Impact headset on here or eBay - they come up from time to time.
    Find Kona Control Centre headset, again on here or on eBay, very similar to the Impact but a little later.
    Fit another correct size threaded headset

HTH,

That looks like the newer version headset you have on there. The top section quite often comes up for sale on its own - keep your eyes peeled ;)

Today I found the infamous rear brake seat tube collar in my LBS's parts drawer - still looking for a local 1 1/8 Impact headset.

Attachments

• DSC00641.JPG
    DSC00641.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 821
I found the Impact collar piece for $1 at this excellent used bike place - Main and 17th if you're in Vancouver!

Latest posts

Back