1994 Kona Fire Mountain SS build...

jam1e

Dirt Disciple
Finished the build with the exception of sorting the brake cables which are a bit short.

So it went from this...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40022&highlight=

To this... (excuse poor pics, it's dark and cold outside!)

3167240030_163a5e6382_m.jpg

3166420505_6a6e0f281b_m.jpg

3166427769_0aec70d917_m.jpg

3167232262_508d4c3bd3_m.jpg

3167266994_4a460e20d3_m.jpg

3166442551_eb7edfe4fe_m.jpg

3166414083_28a41b32dd_m.jpg

Forks and stem are original colours, frame is a rattlecan spray (2xprimer, 5xpaint, 2xlaquer, helicopter tape)

Seatpost and bar are new madison m-part,

Grips are straitlines

Wheels are stx-rc hubs circa 98/99 with unknown rims (I think they were mavics but not sure) and racing ralphs with allen key skewers

Brakes are bikehut V's (sorry)

Headset is STX (new!)

Sugino cranks and unknown blue chainring

Tioga surefoot IV pedals

Random blue bottle bolts etc

I think I'm going to get some blue jockey wheels cos the red offends me but other than that (and new brake cables) it's done.

Let me know what you guys think.

It'll prob be up for sale when the brakes are done if anyones interested - £200ish (Was going to be a work commuter but now there's no indoor bike storage at work and I don't want to leave it out in the rain...[/img]

That looks a very clean build and a shows lots of love for the bike, good on ya!

I do think the response here is a little slow, maybe because the pictures are mall (well at least on my screen they are). Could you edit them to show a bit bigger and show your handy work proper?

One comment that I can see: your handlebars are pointing down from he stem. Retro is that they should be dead flat, but for a proper rider I mount them with a little up-sweep, easier on the wrists.

Enjoy!!

No no looks good , but the pics are too small too really see anything

I'm working off a mobile so I cant view/post the larger flickr images unfortunately. so I'll try and post some better pictures soon.

Now it's been built and I've had chance to see it in the flesh so to speak, I definately think it's been worthwhile and summat that I'll do again...

It looks good, You want to put it into readers bikes pre 1997 ?

What quality did the frame come out with cans?

TBH I'm quite pleased with the quality of the paintwork. I had to do it outside so it was hard getting an even coat due to the wind. (even my mrs drew the line at resprays in the kitchen and she spent today merrily cleaning our modern bikes in the kitchen sink with an electric toothbrush!)

You can't tell it's not factory untill you get to within about 1ft of the frame and even then it's only visible on the underside of the seatstays. In the pics it's hard to see really, especially as every inch is helicopter taped (can't be to carefull!)

IMHO the whole rattle canning method is prob a waste of time/money - I spent about £50 on paint, about £10 on glass paper and about another £20 on chemical stripper, mask etc etc - I could have had it done professionally for that with a much faster turnaround.

When I get the bigger pics sorted I'll move it into the pre97 section.

Back