1993 Ridgeback 705RS bargain, advice?

pencilman77

Retro Guru
I just picked up a bike this morning, question is, what should I do with it? It cost very little and apart from needing a complete strip down and clean, it’s all there, even the rest megabite tyre is still present! My aim was to take the wheels and groupset and put it on my CroMega LX, but should I just clean this up and move it on? I know Ridgeback weren’t that great and these were really the cheapest route into a groupset range, but are they that bad??
Decisions, decisions....
2-FD12574-A003-424-B-A9-C5-E63985-A88445.jpg

Re:

Pillage it for the bits you want and then build a winter single speed hack with what's left and a few more modern parts, such as wider bars and big modern rubber. You might be surprised how much fun it could be, even off a perhaps less inspiring frame.

Not a bad bike though, even if it wasn't the height of fashion.

Re:

If you bought it with the aim of it donating it's parts to your cro-mega then I'd stick with that plan.
At least then you can get the cro-mega up & running.
I know which of the 2 I'd rather be riding!

Have you thought about riding it? just a wild idea off the top of my head :xmas-big-grin:

Then like above, use the bits off it for another if you dont like the ride, and build with modern parts or sell on.

Never ridden one but looks ok and could be a fun little singletrack bike.

mark

It’s not a rider for me as it’s far too small, my idea was to take all the LX kit off it and transfer to the Cro Mega, even though that has a mint original W age groupset on it, I fancied the idea of upgrading it to the best “LX” stuff I can, and keep with my theme of all black on the bike apart from the frame.
I think I might just keep the frame and build up for one of the kids, at £30 for the whole bike, it doesn’t really matter!

Re:

If you don't build it up for one of the kids, PM me and I'll happily buy the frame and forks off you. I'd like a spare f&f set for one of those Ridgebacks.

Latest posts

Back