1993 Orange Prestige

Re: 1993 Orange Prestige - Weenie rebuild

Jimo, it certainly does. I think to do weenie properly you have to look at everything and take any saving, even if it's a few grams because it all adds up. I've never resorted to drillium, not that I have anything against it, I just don't think I could make it neat enough to look acceptable!
Matt, thanks. I did weigh the frame/fork/headset and stem at one point. I can't remember the exact figure and the scale was crap but it was around 2.9kg

Crankset today
Was M900 XTR 46/36/26t 175mm with standard steel chainring/crankbolts 724g
Now Middleburn RS7, 46/36t M560 LX and 24t SR rings alloy chainring bolts and Ti self extracting crankbolts 638g saving 86g
Drivetrain all sorted :D

Attachments

• DSC_1044_copy_3367x1680.jpg
    DSC_1044_copy_3367x1680.jpg
    828.8 KB · Views: 1,200
  • DSC_1041_copy_2477x2996.jpg
    DSC_1041_copy_2477x2996.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 1,199
  • DSC_1040_copy_2477x2906.jpg
    DSC_1040_copy_2477x2906.jpg
    853.9 KB · Views: 1,199

If you ride standing up you could lose the seatpost and saddle :LOL: ;)

Re:

Sweet project. :cool:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but MBUK did a weenie build based on a Prestige frame in one of the specials back around 1992/3. It was meant to be a Vitamin T but someone bought it so they used the Prestige instead.

Brocklanders023, that sounds like an article I'd like to read. If anyone has a copy of it they could scan I'd be very grateful.
I'm just waiting for some tubes to arrive and it's done. Although I would very much like a ti USE seatpost with blue clamp parts, it would possibly save a few more grams but is more of an aesthetic thing to match the bar/stem colour. Actually does anyone know if USE did a ti coloured alloy post?

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":10x3cam4 said:
Sweet project. :cool:

Don't know if it's been mentioned but MBUK did a weenie build based on a Prestige frame in one of the specials back around 1992/3. It was meant to be a Vitamin T but someone bought it so they used the Prestige instead.

This one here Ed?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=394179&hilit=boy+O+boy&start=10

Remember it took ages to find the exact article the OP was after but glad the scans were of use!

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Re: 1993 Orange Prestige

benjabbi":255o3lmk said:
I have decided to give this another make over :oops: this time to see how much weight I can drop just because I've never done a retro weenie build! I'm starting from this, stupidly I didn't weigh it before I took it apart as I thought I had photos of it on the scale, I haven't :roll: but I think it was somewhere between 23 - 23.5lbs. Not heavy at all, but I'm wondering how light I can get it by shaving little bits off everything.

Hell, this is my kind of thread.
:)

Keep it up.

Thanks boy"O"boy, that was an interesting read. That Pace is awesome, Duncan and Adrian really were ahead of the curve, Genesis geometry long before Fisher! The Prestige is cool as well 24lb with front sus for £1000 at the time was pretty impressive!
Cheers Fluffy Chicken, it's been a fun project. Should be finished next week at some point, I'm looking forward to the final weigh in!

The magic number for a saving (for me BiTD and also ~10years ago)
are 45g because that's ~0.1lb saved!
or 28/29g if you're weighing in lb/oz for 1oz (I just used 30g)

Tyres are always a pain, great saving but you do tend to loos grip.
If you can fine 2.1 Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Ralph you can run quite light 2.1 tyre but you do put on a bit of weight.

Though if you can find 1.85 Ron's, iirc they're 400g, you do loose the amberness.
or if you like to live on the edge Conti Twister Supersonic 1.9 will gain you a nice tyre for the summer (330g and not too narrow), just stay away from anything sharp.

P.S. The rings outere (and middle I think) look knackered :-( you can see the wear an the hooks and dents on the chain contact edge

Back