1993 Kona Hei Hei - just brought home!

delronious

Dirt Disciple
A big thanks to mfhxgram and chouca for the guidance on purchasing the Kona! I have always wanted one of these and when one popped up on my local classifieds, I had to jump on it!

I believe it is a 1993 but not sure if the decals are orginal. It has 8spd XT and a Manitou three front fork which seems toast.

Any tips on an appropriate and reasonably attainable replacement? Would it be worth rebuilding the manitou?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 805
  • FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    FullSizeRender[1].jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 806
  • FullSizeRender[2].jpg
    FullSizeRender[2].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 806
  • FullSizeRender[3].jpg
    FullSizeRender[3].jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 806
  • FullSizeRender[4].jpg
    FullSizeRender[4].jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 805
Nice one! Lovely frame! Definitely pre '94 it still has the "old" style rear drop outs.

A Marzocchi XC500 or better a Mag21 fork would be perfect!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Nice buy! :)

As above, that Manitou is just a simple elastomer fork, and the elastomers have probably just broken down and crumbled into dust over time. You can get new elastomers for it fairly easily, and probably cheaper than a replacement fork, once fitted the fork should be good as new.

The placement of the Hei Hei decal would indicate it's a reproduction as the names don't usually start / end that close to the head-tube. Still, a brilliant frame. For the real pursuit a set of Ti P2's would look PROPER good. Whatever the fork just make sure it doesn't go over 60mm travel otherwise it'll screw with the ride.

Re:

With those dropouts and rear cable hanger, it's a first generation 1992 Sandvik made
;)

Re:

Godwin_Austen":3od82afd said:
If you're interested there's a Marzocchi XC600 going on ebay at the moment (not mine!) - you'd need to check the steerer length obviously, and put on some new decals which Gil_M can probably sort for you, but could look rather splendid...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-XC- ... 1e9a9aa354

A few posts down this thread is the 1994 hei hei with marzocchi forks:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89577

Those forks do look good on the hei hei. In fact, I have a set of XC600 sitting on the shelf in 1" that needs new seals. Apparently these seals are no longer made, does anyone have a source for them? How does a XC R compare to the XC600?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back