1993 Diamondback Axis Team Titanium - Updated for 2016

frantik

Retro Guru
I picked up a 1993 DBR Axis TT a month or two back. Originally came with an aftermarket carbon fork which was the wrong size for the frame

fayw.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a super light steel fork to replace the carbon one.. the steel fork actually ended up being lighter than the carbon fork by close to 100 grams!

M98Il5a.jpg

Trek System 3 butted cr-mo fork

I had a lot of other parts on hand, and have ordered others. I'm going to be doing a drop bar conversion on this bike, and am just waiting for some Campy Ergo brake levers/shifters to arrive to finish up the build. Here's a pic with some Cane Creek brakes on as a mock up. 20.9 lbs / 9.5kg as pictured

attachment.php

1993 DBR Axis TT frame
Trek System 3 double butted crmo fork (made by Tange)
Campagnolo Veloce Ergo shifters/brake levers (pictured are Cane Creek SCS-5 brake levers)
Shimano Deore XT M735 FD
Shimano 600 Tricolor 7400 RD
Shimano Dura Ace 8 sp cassette 13-23
Shimano Deore LX M563 front hub laced to Mavic 230 SPB rim
Shimano Deore M510 rear hub laced to Sunrim CR18
Shimano Deore XT M732 cantilever brakes
Sugino Impel crankset with Token 44t alloy outter ring and 34t steel inner ring
Shimano Deore XT M735 pedals
System EX stem
Origin8 Gary dirt drop bar
Kore seat post
WTB SST saddle with Ti rails
Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Comp headset
Unknown BB
Compass Tires 26x1.75"

I was planning on doing a blue ano theme but the red saddle is kind of throwing everything off. The dark green fork isn't helping either. Eventually I think I'll need to paint or power coat the fork black. Not sure if I should go with more blue ano or give on up that.

Waiting for the shifters/brake levers to arrive and then I'll finish up the first stage of this build. I've been looking for a proper wheelset to put on.. the front wheel is pretty light but the rear is super bulky. I think this frame deserves some low spoke count, high end light wheels

Here's a pic of how the bike looked originally:
file.php
(thanks to marinito who's thread i found that pic in)

I'll post an update once I get the Campy brakes/shifters.. looking forward to taking this this for a spin :D

Re: 1993 Diamondback Axis Team Titanium - Build in progress

Good score. I have a very soft spot for early '90s DB bikes.

Take a look at Wadsys BOTM last month for some added inspiration!

Looks good Frantik. I bet this will be your lightest bike. I say go forth with the blue ano theme. I have done red ano on most of my bikes and im doing blue ano next time. Keep us updated on this.

Thanks ovlov for the tip on Wadsy's BoTM, i'll have to check it out :)

Andy yeah this bike is on track to weigh 22 pounds, 2 pounds lighter than the carbon/alu Trek. Eventually I'd like to get some lighter wheels too, try to bring it close or under 20 pounds

I'm surprised you're not around 20 lbs already. Are the tires heavy? I'm not familiar with that brand.

I did a very similar build for singletrack riding with an old Obed frame. It ended up just under 20 lbs by going with a 1 x 8 drivetrain and using a barcon for shifting the RD.

Just grabbed the perfect wheelset for this bike.. I would have missed it too except a strange set of circumstances woke me up early and I saw the seller had responded to the email I had just sent 4 hours previously, right before going to bed. 16 mile round trip, seller said when he arrived he had just been on the phone with someone begging him to hold them for him.

Using a Diamondback to pick up parts for another Diamondback
HIZhy7l.jpg

Ringle Superbubba hub with Mavic 230 SPB rim
kIHMiAD.jpg

AC APX 8 hub with Mavic X517 rim
VqNUSnX.jpg

Ringle Ti Stix
wqpQ8Jr.jpg

Seller's pic.. he also threw in the Specialized S-Works Rockster 26x1.90 tires
b1tJDC2.jpg

Before I wasn't sure about if I should go with a blue ano theme, but now that's definitely the direction i'll be going :D

blilrat":1khpevzm said:
I'm surprised you're not around 20 lbs already. Are the tires heavy? I'm not familiar with that brand.

I did a very similar build for singletrack riding with an old Obed frame. It ended up just under 20 lbs by going with a 1 x 8 drivetrain and using a barcon for shifting the RD.

The tires are ~445g with ~135g tubes. Your comment has inspired me to weigh everything to find out where some of the weight is. I'd like to go under 20 lbs. Hopefully these new wheels will help!

Just got these in the mail today :D Gonna do the ol' Shimergo trick to mate it with an 8 speed cassette. The brifters are ~60g lighter than the Cane Creek SCS-5 brake levers and Deore thumb shifters I typically use to set up my drop bars. If I like these, I probably will add another set to my Jamis Darak which is also set up with drops

XwnnWFF.jpg

got some Chill Pills today :D

UHj730P.jpg

blue ano crankbolts look sick.. they match the hubs and chill pills too :D I hope to anodize the seatpost, stem and other bits in the future

MQxuVvN.jpg

I also painted the fork black.. felt kinda guilty stripping off the immaculate stock paint but it was totally the wrong color. I used "Painters Touch" brand Gloss Black primer+paint (in one can) but it's more like a really dark grey/brown than actual black. Depending on how well it holds up i might get it powder coated in the future, but this will work for now

8e00t1H.jpg

I've got everything on hand, now just need to get a chance to build it up :D

Re:

I was ready to build it up, but then I discovered Chris King had just come out with a limited edition run of their turquoise components... had to grab me a headset! :D Waiting for some jagwire cables to arrive.. hopefully should be rolling next week...

qIgPRZw.jpg

Nice man I really like the blue ano. I like any ano though. haha

Latest posts

Back