For Sale 1992 Raleigh peak

Ty, is this one of the Raleigh frames where they glued different metals together rather than welding, which I read was the case for Mtrax 1000 range and in some causes caused the frame to fall apart for some while riding!?

Will 17" frame be sufficient for a 5' 10" gentleman?

Yes these frames are indeed bonded with the rear seat stays I believe are brazed a very strong way to build a frame I have seen and heard of some failures of these types of frames but considering the amount of frames produced there are still many going strong after well over 30 years so that in itself says it all. I would say at 5.10 your more towards a 19” hope this helps

Yes these frames are indeed bonded with the rear seat stays I believe are brazed a very strong way to build a frame I have seen and heard of some failures of these types of frames but considering the amount of frames produced there are still many going strong after well over 30 years so that in itself says it all. I would say at 5.10 your more towards a 19” hope this helps
There are no bonded joints on that frame, it's lugged and brazed steel (K2 tubeset). The dynatech frames had a mix of steel/aluminium/titanium that couldn't be welded or brazed together, hence the bonding. This is not one of them though.

There are no bonded joints on that frame, it's lugged and brazed steel (K2 tubeset). The dynatech frames had a mix of steel/aluminium/titanium that couldn't be welded or brazed together, hence the bonding. This is not one of them though.
Out of interest what did they use to bond? I couldn't imagine what would be strong enough if it doesn't use some kind of metal?

It was a high strength epoxy adhesive, couldn't tell you any details of the specific product though. There might be more info in the catalogues in the archive.

It was a high strength epoxy adhesive, couldn't tell you any details of the specific product though. There might be more info in the catalogues in the archive.
Didn't need to go too deep into the chemical structure :). Crazy to think it was a glorified superglue sticking it together.

Didn't need to go too deep into the chemical structure :). Crazy to think it was a glorified superglue sticking it together.
Bonding or glueing materials has been commonplace in engineering circles for a long time before Raleigh used it on frames. Aerospace industries & the like. Superglue is not quite doing the adhesive any justice. Nor is this the place to be discussing such matters, in someone's For Sale thread. Just saying.

GLWS, bike looks in great order.

Back