1992 M2 TEAM - Specialized - NOW VIDEO :-)

Re: 1992 M2 TEAM - Specialized - step by step

andreaviola":2zwuzh06 said:
cut the fork and thread the tube:
12202508606_78d82b045d_c.jpg

Love your workplace!! ;) :facepalm:

Bike looks very good with the fork!

Very cool bike! Makes me want to own one! Those M2 frames are the best looking of the specialized range.

A genuinely handsome bike.

Ever since I'd seen an M2 frame hanging in the local bike shop, I'd felt a an aura of space-age technology when thinking about the M2 material. This is one of the reasons why I have an M2 stumpjumper on my provisional build wishlist, and why I recently bought a NOS M2 stem (not yet fitted until I can decide between M2 or Ti stems). But I have never managed to properly get my head around what exactly M2 is, and its benefits (or drawbacks) are. Would somebody whose got the knowing be able to help me out here?

Sorry for diverting your build thread with my obscure ramblings.

M2 is a metal matrix composite. It is aluminum with alumina (aluminum oxide ceramic) particles suspended in it to make it stronger. Alcan marketed a similar material and called it Duralcan. It was tricky to weld since the ceramic could precipitate out, so the M2 frames were made in USA.

Thanks for the information andrea. So am I right in thinking that M2 frames and components will generally be lighter for the same strength, or stronger at the same weight, as regular aluminium? How much does your M2 frame weigh for example?

I have not weighed the frame, but It was incredibly light.
Probably 1,3kg, but not sure.

Gosh, very light! How would you describe the ride characteristics of the frame?

I've never ridden in the last 22 years, but I remember that at the time it was a very hard and fast frame.
The rear wheel jumping a lot, but the bike had a quick answer, and it was a missile in the counterattack.

This is very interesting. Perhaps an M2 Stumpjumper would be a nice counterpoint to my existing, more compliant titanium and steel rides. Are these known to eventually crack, like regular aluminium frames?

Back