1992 GT Karakoram new pics - Pickle beware!

Tequilla Sunrise.

If it's the steel single bolt hanger with the little finger at the top....there's a lister on ebay.com that goes by retro cycle supply that usually has them listed for $25...Seems a tad high but they aren't easy to find.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hiya Mr Fromage

I believe the one your after is No.107

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... %2FHangers

Don't know if they've got any in stock still, but they are listing them so might well.

If yours isn't too far gone, you might be able to hammer it back into shape – did that to mine on the avalanche and it's been fine (though I might order one of these if they've got a few)

Cheers fella

I am embarassed to say that I have never seen this thing in my life, and I even worked at a GT dealer in 1994! What's the deal with the steel frame replaceable hanger? When I look at my 100s of pictures of GT's, it seems like the steel frames with hangers are pics from overseas (mostly stuff ganked from you guys here on Retrobike). Most of the Bravados, Karakorams and Avalanches and such with color schemes and specs that I'm familiar with, spanning a period from about 1991-1995 or so, did not have replaceable hangers.

What years-vintage steel GTs had hangers?

Were these frames standard fair the world over, or did GT buy frames from different builders destined for different places around the world?

Was it expected, you guys in the UK that shopped for steel frames back in the day, that your steel bikes had replaceable hangers? Would that have made GT promote the removeable hanger thing in your market and not mine, maybe?

I'm really at a loss to explain how I never knew about steel framed GTs with replaceable hangers... :oops: Learn something new every day! :LOL:

Attachments

• gt hanger.jpg
    gt hanger.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 8,162
utahdog2003":14wk0u26 said:
I am embarassed to say that I have never seen this thing in my life, and I even worked at a GT dealer in 1994! What's the deal with the steel frame replaceable hanger? When I look at my 100s of pictures of GT's, it seems like the steel frames with hangers are pics from overseas (mostly stuff ganked from you guys here on Retrobike). Most of the Bravados, Karakorams and Avalanches and such with color schemes and specs that I'm familiar with, spanning a period from about 1991-1995 or so, did not have replaceable hangers.

What years-vintage steel GTs had hangers?

Were these frames standard fair the world over, or did GT buy frames from different builders destined for different places around the world?

Was it expected, you guys in the UK that shopped for steel frames back in the day, that your steel bikes had replaceable hangers? Would that have made GT promote the removeable hanger thing in your market and not mine, maybe?

I'm really at a loss to explain how I never knew about steel framed GTs with replaceable hangers... :oops: Learn something new every day! :LOL:

Put me down as equally stumped - I'd never seen one either

GT was the first production company to offer steel frame mountain bikes with replaceable hangers. Most of the frames were from 90-92 on the higher end import frames many of which came from Toyo in Japan. Team Avalanches, Avalanches. Pscyclones were US built and always had the same replaceable hanger. The steel frames with the two bolt hangers were Taiwan built from what I remember. I remember selling steel back then and when someone was shopping Trek or anything else for that matter we could always hook them in the end with "GT sas a replaceable hanger" they don't. Worked 90% of the time.

@utahdog.....Working at a GT dealer in 1994 you would have missed it in steel because all high end had gone Aluminum except the Bravado and the Psyclone a few Karakorams were still being sold. Most of the sales had switched to Zaskar, Avalanche and Pantera by then.

utahdog2003":104uy77d said:
Crayons":104uy77d said:
Nope – the Karakoram upwards had a replaceable hanger, like my '92 avalanche.

Really nice frames to be honest – ride very well indeed.

My Avalanche seems to end up getting more action than any other bike in the fleet.

Enjoy :cool:

Huh...maybe a european thing? I don't remember steel GT frame having replaceable hangers at all. :?

Note lower right corner of catalog picture from 1992. Utah you're just too young to have remembered this...not gray enough yet. :D
In 1993 the Corrado and Bravado frames had a two bolt hanger similar to the alloy frames but thinner. My 94 Bravado has the same 2-bolt hanger.

Attachments

• GT 92er page2.2.jpg
    GT 92er page2.2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,108
Back