1992 Claud Butler Antaeus 653 Magnum FINISHED

Nice, looks better with the Smoke/Dart combo imo.

Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

Hotwheels.":1qshare2 said:
Sweet af!
Ta.. she’s my favourite.

mk one":1qshare2 said:
Nice, looks better with the Smoke/Dart combo imo.

Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

I’d spent the morning servicing the kids bikes in preparation for the Easter break & ticking off lots of little jobs when I remembered I had a set of (repro) Smoke & Darts that I wanted to try. I’m glad I did as I think they sit well, ready for a family ride on Saturday.

As they say… they’re never finished…I needed to replace the BB, as the drive side flange had snapped off, not sure how, I think maybe a chain that had dropped off the granny ring might have caught it..
7EA3612D-374F-4373-9521-518FED7797BA.jpeg
Anyway, I got a tidy UN71 (‘94) from @MatBH5 for a great price, it just needed a quick wash and brush up and we were back in business.
Whilst waiting for it to arrive I thought I’d do a few more housekeeping jobs; a new slightly thicker headset spacer as the previous was too thin and I couldn’t properly lock the headset & a wider Tioga Prestige bar. This one is 600 wide replacing the 560mm incumbent. Doesn’t seem like much of a difference but boy does it feel better… Might not look so “old school race spec” but it makes for a much better ride.. C9680833-F427-42C1-B95E-C4A97DA9C25B.jpeg 100E7A56-8CFA-49F2-97A8-6BA1CDD3D890.jpeg 5D63D62A-CC70-431F-B868-37458B3DB4C5.jpeg AC652E63-3915-4910-8DEB-D9651B4EADEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in the summer I had a great day out with @yakboy & @The History Man at Dalby Forrest, great fun but I felt my Antaeus was feeling rougher than I remembered and realised the the MX100 Marzocci's weren't really doing much... very squelchy with little or no re-bound, very soft.
So after a while I decided that I'd get them sent off to Marcus AKA @kraeMit AKA Dr Marzocchi for a full service, replacement of seals etc and hopefully a new set of stanchions if he had them.
In the mean time I set the Antaeus up with a set of RockShox FSX I'd serviced and re-built a year or two ago for @Our Jimmy 's Marin. These work great but did mean the wheel base was a little shorter and I discovered this isn't great when @yakboy took me down a local steep run the other day. Everything worked ok, but I just didn't feel as comfortable or as confidant as I normally would have with the MX100's.

IMG_2965.jpg

Fortunately they arrived back from Germany today and look and feel fantastic! built up this evening and will be fitted back on Anty tomorrow :)

IMG_3491.jpg

I've been hording this Mister Cruds Crud Bung for years! :p Now in it's forever home.

IMG_3489.jpg

Oh, and yes whilst the legs were away I gave the crown some much needed TLC with a fine grade wet & dry rub down, a layer of black acid etch then a top coat of clear matt lacquer.;)

IMG_3498.jpg IMG_3506.jpg

Last edited:
Back